About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, July 28, 2017

Simplicity 8383 a swingy dress!

Have you seen this pattern yet?  I skipped past it last time I was looking at patterns.  That was a mistake!  I could have had this adorable dress in my closet much sooner!

Image result for images Simplicity 8383

Look at how adorable this is!  That is if it is okay to say so myself!


This is an easy to sew dress and I literally sewed it up in less than two hours.  


It is super, duper short so I doubt I will wear this as a dress but more of a tunic.  Have you heard that rule, no mini skirts after 35?  I am way over that year!


I knew this would be short but with my limited amount of fabric, this was all the longer I could make it.  


I love how this fits at the shoulders and bust and then just flows.


This gorgeous fabric is from Stof.  It is 94% cotton and 6% lycra.  It stitches up beautifully!  


I reinforced those little areas where the sleeve attaches to the arm using a small piece of stay tape.


Look how smooth that upper back is along with the sleeves and upper arm.  



I recently promised a tutorial on how I stabilize the neckline...well here it is!


I use ordinary Dritz stay tape.  I can easily find this at JoAnns.  You can see where I stitched it on with it barely extending over the seam allowance.  


I use about every landmark I can on my machine or feet.  I line up the edge of the stay tape with a part of my presser foot.  After this step, I apply the neckband as usual.  The little edge of the stay tape is covered by the neckband.  


I had a blast making this dress/tunic!  It is well drafted and I can see making another view in the near future!

Thanks for reading!
Sue :)

5 comments:

  1. You look so cute in this dress. A lovely make and thanks for the neckline tutorial. Keep up the good work x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress! You wouldn't believe what perfect timing this is for me - I bought a RTW top from a boutique here in Victoria BC that is one of my all time favourites. It's made of a black, drapey bamboo/cotton blend and is exactly like your dress! I wore it yesterday and thought to myself, "I should make myself some of these - I'm so crazy about it. I wonder what pattern I could use?" And there you are this morning wearing the exact same top! Thank you so much for this post! Of course I LOVE your dress/tunic! It's perfect - lovely on you and for sure I have no doubt you'll make more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you feel about the sizing? Im hoping to make this for a girl who wears a 14 but the measurements seem a bit off.

    ReplyDelete