I had a version of this dress that I simply couldn't get out of my mind so I had to make it. I didn't alter the pattern much other than the obvious of making it into a maxi with a slit! But let me back up...here is a photo of my first dress. I've worn it several times and just love everything about it.
I just love the back of this dress! Actually, I love everything about it! Both the black and white linen were purchased from Fabric Mart.
I used linen of course since my first version was also linen.
I didn't do any embellishments this time, although I did think about it! I also decided not to add the kangaroo pocket. I do really like it but in all honesty, I didn't have enough fabric. It was either the maxi or the pocket.
I did want to make a slit for walking.
It was super warm and HUMID today and this dress was cool and comfortable.
Last time, I cut each piece of bias binding separately. This time however, I decided to try and make the continuous binding that is included in the pattern.
I must say, it worked out really well! Using a natural fiber that presses well and doesn't shift everywhere certainly helped. I will use this process in the future. A relatively small square make enough binding to cover the neckline, both armholes and a bit extra.
The bust dart is perfect on this. You use your full bust to measure your size. With my first version, I used the same size for my hips. They were too large and I took them in a size or two. For this version, I cut a small lower half--2 sizes and that worked perfectly.
Normally I make a swayback adjustment. Since this is blousy, I didn't feel it needed one.
No gaping at the armhole!
White is the perfect way to showcase jewelry. I really love this dress and the hubby gave it his stamp of approval. I'm not done with this pattern yet this summer.
Thanks for reading!