About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, July 2, 2017

Datura top by Deer & Doe

Hi all!  Today I am modeling for you my Datura top by Deer and Doe.  I was so intrigued by the neckline on this and knew I needed to make it.  Also, Lori from Girls in the Garden created 2 gorgeous denim tops and I knew I had a remnant in my stash of a dress I made a while back.  If I could only find a pattern that would work with my limited yardage....




And, here is the pattern!  

Datura blouse

Cool, huh?  

Datura blouse

This is my second muslin.  My first isn't shown and I learned a lot from it.  First big lesson was to use a natural fiber to make this garment.  Poly just didn't hold it's shape well enough after pressing to make this a success, at least for me!


If you don't get the neckline area perfect, everyone will know as this is the main draw of the garment.


You can see this is a bit small on my through the lower body.  There is some pulling and the non-functional button back is also gaping.  


I did a better job of pulling it down for this photo but you shouldn't have to yank at your clothing.  If it fits, it hangs properly.  


I do like the back yoke on this.  It fits well on me, meaning that it lies smooth and there isn't any gaping at the armscyes.


Let's talk about the neckline for a bit more.  I highly recommend careful cutting, stitching, clipping, and pressing here.  I do not recommend this pattern for a beginner.  


I measured each line of each triangle numerous times to ensure it was all properly spaced and the equidistant between the sides of all the angles.



Another thing I learned on the first muslin was that it was unnecessary to sew the upper portion of the bodice front and back (the areas that will be covered with the bias trim).  You can see the instructions have you stitch those pieces and turn to the right side.  Then you put on the bias trim.  Those seems are covered by the trim.  No need to make yourself work harder.  Also, since there isn't an additional seamline on the neck area the bias going on my smoother and lays nicer.


You create enough bias trim to use on the hemline and this creates a very nice finish.  I decided to hand hem mine as it was beautiful outside and I am all about sewing outdoors when I can.  

I enjoyed sewing this top.  I see more in my future, especially view B with that cute little peter-pan type collar.  

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

8 comments:

  1. It turned out great! The back fit on the yoke is fantastic. I totally missed the back buttons on other people's versions before--what a cute detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute top with lovely details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top of that fits so beautifully--you could always take a contrasting fabric (or the same fabric if you have some) and create an inverse pleat under the back seam, to give you more ease there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ParisGrrl, that is a fantastic idea! I am going to do that! Thanks for the inspriation! Sue

      Delete
  4. What a neat top! Love all of the details and your fabric choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting your experience with this lovely top! I have this pattern and haven't made it up yet but I'll be bookmarking your post for when I do for sure! I know Named doesn't include seam allowances on their patterns so you do have to add whatever seam allowance you prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I said Named patterns and I should have said Deer & Doe :)

      Delete