About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, July 24, 2017

Simplicity 1467 top made with some precious silk!

Hello all! I have been sewing up a storm lately and one of the projects to complete this summer was to use this silk fabric my son and daughter-in-law brought me from their trip to Thailand.  This gorgeous silk was a pashima.  It is very delicate and required some care to work with.



I had made a different top with the other portions of the silk that was a total wader even though I had made a muslin and worked out the fit details.  Again, it was due to this fabric being super delicate.  I managed to have enough left over to put together this top with a contrast back.  I am so much happier with this!  



Here is the pattern I used:

                        Image result for images Simplicity 1467
I like the clean lines of the top and the fact it is sleeveless.  

                 

This fabric is also somewhat iridescent.  See what I mean when you look at the photos?


             

I really like the pink back!  This isn't the most precise sewing I've ever done but I knew from previous experience working with this fabric that what ever happened, was going to stay that way, much like when you sew with leather.
   

I did my best to sew very carefully but this was the 'shiftiest' fabric I have ever sewn with!!!


I did have to cut the front yoke on the bias.  I think it is fine given the jumbled way the elephants are strewn on this fabric.  

I enjoyed sewing this!

Thanks for reading!
Sue

5 comments:

  1. I love how you showcased this fabric, it is a beautiful top. This is a pattern I have totally missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are fabulous colors, and they look great on you. Is there a dart in there, or do the gathers do all the shaping? I've been wanting a top with the darts converted to gathers at the neck. Great way to use a small bit of fabric, and without breaking up the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous top! I like the way you partnered the silk front and back and the neckline is beautiful! I had a remnant piece of gorgeous silk that I was excited to make into a sleeveless top and I completely ruined the dart - I was SO upset it threatened to derail me off sewing :) But I'm back at it again :) us sewists prevail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really cute top ! How special to actually use such a wonderful gift of fabric .
    A personal question -did you add bra strap stays ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fabulous fabric, and your top did it total justice.

    ReplyDelete