About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

What makes a seamstress advanced?

Have you ever thought about how you rate your sewing or crafting skills?  I do all the time!  When I jumped back into sewing after about a 15 year hiatus, I knew I was beyond beginner, and advanced beginner but wondered what new techniques, new fabrics, new fitting issues had arisen due to a 15 year older body so I rated myself as intermediate.

Well, that was almost 5 years ago.  I would say that I have improved in fitting myself and others tremendously.  I would say I've brushed up on some skills I had only partially attempted in previous years.  I have become better at taking risks with fabric and with styles.  I do however still have the occasional flop that's due to either a poor style choice, poor fabric choice, or poor execution due to sloppiness.  Does anyone else occasionally experience this?

But....does that make me an intermediate or an advanced sewist?  I wonder....

Just a note, I am NOT looking for compliments.  I am merely sharing thoughts.  I do know what I will or will not do with my sewing level at the beginning of 2017 on SPR.  I am wanting to know how you all have come to your personal conclusions regarding your sewing ability.

Will you please share your thoughts?

I'd love to hear them!

Happy sewing!

Sue

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite question! I think most anyone advances from Beginner to Advanced Beginner pretty quickly. And then sit there to Intermediate for a long time.

    But then Advanced can mean so many things. Does it HAVE to be only those that do extensive tailoring or couture type of work? I don't know.

    (Can you delete the other comment? Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding KS! I too think that advanced can mean so many things! I know some that I would say are advanced yet they've never made a tailored anything! That doesn't mean they aren't advanced, right?

      Delete
  2. I concur....I think that advanced can mean so many things too. As for myself, because I am so critical of my work I haven't yet placed myself in the advanced category no matter what it could mean. I sew a lot of advanced Vogue patterns, so am I considered Advanced? I seem to have mastered Vogue pattern instructions categorized as advanced. I have been sewing for over 20 plus years maybe longer and consider myself as an Intermediate sewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bpatricia74, I would say you are most definitely advanced! I too am so very critical of my own sewing, I am not sure I will ever get to advanced status!
      Sue

      Delete