About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Morgan Jeans



It has been a while since I made a classic pair of jeans and I realize how much I missed the process of it all!  Jeans are FUN to create and not that difficult if you have a great pattern to follow.  :) 




I choose the Morgan Boyfriend Jeans pattern by Closet Case Patterns.  If you've been living under a rock, and haven't heard how uber popular the Ginger Jeans are by Closet Case, then you've missed out!  I haven't tried that pattern myself, but the reviews are just amazing with everyone getting great results!  The Morgan is described like this: Featuring a mid-rise, traditional five-pocket construction, contoured waistband, tapered leg and button fly.  Morgan fits snugly through the hip but relaxes and conforms to your curves with a little wear.  Size up for a sloucher, more casual fit.  Choose between a regular or cropped inseam, add an optional leather waistband patch.  

                             Image result for images morgan jeans by closet case patterns

This is my wearable muslin--can you believe the fit I got right out of the gate?  I made only one modification to the pattern and that was to make my usual swayback adjustment.  I did this at the area where the back yoke connects to the back pant leg but only made the adjustment at the center back and tapered to nothing at midpoint.  



With all the Christmas goodies I have been eating, illness, and no time to maintain running or exercise, I found myself between sizes.  I went with the smaller size in hopes that it wan't a poor choice!  Sorry in advance for the butt shot!


Is this denim fun or what?  It has been in my stash for about a year.  I purchased it from Fabric Mart and was waiting for something fun to do with it.  I should note however that the pattern calls for regular denim with no stretch, but I didn't find the stretch had any effect on the overall garment finish.  



I hemmed these as long as I could, given they are designed for a woman that is 5'6".  I am 5'7".  In the cold months I typically wear boots so these would be tucked inside and in the warmer months, I would either have sandals on or roll these up.  I do really like the length.  As with denim, residual shrinkage in the length can occur so I will keep that in mind if these do tend to shrink up.  



I added a few of the fun little details that the pattern mentions--leather patch and rivets. 



The button fly was masterfully designed and super easy to install.  This is my first pair of button fly jeans and it won't be my last!  


For next time, I may size up for that slouchy look, or try the cone denim the pattern calls for that naturally grows as you wear it.  



I had so much fun creating my Morgans!  I hope you'll try this pattern!

Sue  

4 comments:

  1. How cute! I have this fabric as well, made pants - great little denim. And your fit is fantastic! jeans are so chancy...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pair of jeans! The fit is amazing and the fabric is fun. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait! the photos of these pants are like that famous dress--the one where some people thought it was white and gold and others thought it was blue! Did you notice the very different colors in the different shots? Great, professional job on these, BTW!

    ReplyDelete