About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Simplicity 8059

I finally made myself a duster.  I've wanted one forever and I finally took the plunge!  



I used this ribbed knit from Joann's.  It worked well and the quality is okay.  



What I didn't want was a bathrobe-look and I believe I achieved it. 


I like that little gathering in the back that is created from an elastic casing sewn to the inside.  


It gives the garment a bit of shape in the back.  


Here you can see the insides.  The facing is sewn to the front and back with a top-stitch.  I used SewkeyesE hem tape to secure the facing before cover-stitching.  I also cover-stitched the hems.

My only alterations to the pattern were my usual sloping shoulder and swayback adjustment.  With the way this fit, I didn't think an FBA was necessary.  

Here is a pic of the pattern.  
Image result for images simplicity 8059
I made view E.  I wish I had just a smidgen more fabric and I would have made view D.  

This is a quick to put together project.  Stabilize your shoulders and your facings and you'll end up with a great result!

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

13 comments:

  1. I think you achieved the non-bathrobe look too. Nice duster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you achieved the non-bathrobe look too. Nice duster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this and have this pattern in my sewing queue. I see that the back has an elastic casing. Maybe you could make a longer casing and shorten the elastic to snug it up some, like the models versions. Deeper seams as you suggested in certain areas would do that also. JoAnn's fabrics are always hit and miss in my area, this looks like a nice knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I noticed too that the model's elastic casing looks much narrower than mine--although what I used is what is called for in regard to the pattern. I just hate it when that happens.

      Delete
  4. I really like this! Yes, I agree that this does not look like a bathrobe! I think you will get a lot of use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernice! I have another one planned based on the fact that no one seems to think it looks like a bath robe! Whew!

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I'm also doing a 'winter' duster in grey french terry, different pattern. but it is that time of year, and sweater dusters are so much fun. I like the casing in the back (my pattern has a similar detail) and the ribbon ties. I had no idea that this pattern is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Coco! It is much cuter made up--I agree! I can't wait to see your version!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this look and now it's cold here (uk) something like this would be perfect, the fabric works well and I love the casing as most dusters/extra long cardigans have no shape at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. I love the elastic casing in the back...cute detail.

    ReplyDelete