About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Helen's Blackwood Cardigan--I finally made one. :)

Honestly, I must be one of the last sewist to make this pattern.  Why did I wait so long?  When a pattern blows up the internet, I really need to pay more attention.  That translates into purchasing the pattern sooner, rather than later.  


Have you seen this?  It's classic.  It's classy.  It's easy to sew.  What more do you need?  

Blackwood Cardigan PDF Sewing Pattern

There are two versions of this pattern, this one shown is longer with longsih sleeves that scrunch up a bit.  There's a shorter version as well.  What makes this pattern so awesome is that its an easy to sew knit.  There isn't any hemming (unless of course you use the patch pockets).  All the edges have bands which makes it super fast and easy to sew.  


A week or so ago, we had an exceptionally beautiful day with sunshine and no snow.  I took the opportunity to take some photos outdoors.  This is my first blackwood cardigan.  I of course, made the longer version.  I love this length!  


This covers everything you want covered.  I think this would work well with leggings or on any day where you swear the dryer shrunk all your pants four sizes too small.  Anyone else ever have a day like that? 



I did end up shortening the sleeves by about three inches.  I knew they were designed to be slouchy and I compensated.  After all, I hoped to wear this for spring with some garments that I am hoping I will need to pull up my sleeves with because I am too warm.  That's probably a few weeks away.  


Here are some close ups.  I love the bands.  I ended up stitching a little more than an 1/8" from the edge with topstitching to secure the seam.  


Here's a better photo of the band and the topstitching I did.  I really love this color.  It's actually darker than this photo shows.  


Make sure your seams line up precisely and you'll love your finished garment.  BTW, I used a Telio knit for this and it feels amazing.  I can't wait to wear this to threads.  

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

No comments:

Post a Comment