About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Bright orange and Mimi G: Simplicity 8889

Hi all!  
Today I want to share with all of you this cute top from Mimi G.  The styling on this is just darling!  


Image result for images Simplicity 8889

Here's my version: 


This pattern is very well drafted.  It fits me so well.  I barely made any alterations to this, other than my usual which I will describe below.


I am loving this bright orange linen from JoAnns.  I hope it holds up!  It's always so hit and miss with them.  This did wash and dry well, so I am hopeful.


First, let's talk about the pocket that I modified.  I added a self-fabric tube or flat piping to the right side of the pocket facing.  I had a bit extra of the fabric, so I decided to add this non-functional loop to the pocket so I could use this pretty pearl button.  I had two and knew it would be difficult to use just one on another project.  After sewing on the loop, I added the flat piping.


Then I turned the facing to the right side of the pocket so it would show.  Fold back the side edges and bam!  You are ready to stitch this onto the garment. 


There is a hidden placket for the buttons.  I love hidden plackets.  They are fun to make.  


I made clean finish hems on the sleeves and bottom edges.  


I matched the rounded edge of the hem facing to my top stitching. 


And, for the final picture, he's the back.

I almost forgot to mention my alterations!  I lengthened from the shoulder to apex, the bust curve and the back from the shoulder to the waist.  My total length adjustment was 1.75" for each--front and back.  Had I not lengthened this, I would be belly-bearing and that isn't a good look for me at this point in my life.  ;)  

I really love how this turned out!  I am wearing this with my McCall's 7432 dress pattern.  This is another fav of mine!  
Image result for images McCall's 7432
Thanks for reading!
Sue 








3 comments:

  1. I love your shirt! I HAD to have this pattern, stalked the site until it was online, and even paid full price for it! But it was for the pants, I hadn’t even really looked at the top! I have made them so now will look at making the shirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this top on you, and the color is awesome! Quick tip for keeping your linen in tip top shape-never, ever, put it in the dryer. Just hang it up and smooth it with your hands. I put mine on my dress form and let a fan blow on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have this pattern and I've never done a hidden placket!
    I LOVE that orange!! Very nice outfit.

    ReplyDelete