About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Simon is 2--my favorite little man! McCalls 6828


Do you have a little one in your life?  I am so lucky that I do!  His name is Simon and he just turned 2 this week!  He is my first grandchild and what fun being a grandma is!  I stumbled across this pattern and the grandma in me screamed, buy it!  So, I did!



This pattern has a choice of three creatures which can be left to your interpretation.  I think they look like a cat, raccoon, and some sort of bear.  Whatever you want to call them, they are just darn cute!

I made view B, which I call a raccoon.


Wow. for you young moms out there, I have forgotten how difficult it is to get a 2 year old to stand still for 5 seconds!  Sorry for the blurry photos but this little man doesn't want to stop moving!  


Is he cute or what?  
Can you believe I made this based on his measurements?  I would say it runs a little large!  


I'm okay with large because I think/know it will fit next year as well!




He really didn't know what to make of the buttons and do you see the blue foot, leg, and hand?  Uncle Andrew thought it was a good idea to let him use a marker, unsupervised...he doesn't have any kids of his own yet!  


It's almost like he is modeling on a runway with this pose!  


And this one!



Off and running!



Sewing is pretty straightforward.  I made some changes based on my little fella.  He is one hot little kid, so I omitted the lining which would have made two layers of fleece.  He would have just melted in it!

I made this out of gray and off-white fleece.  I think they were from Fabric Mart and Hancock's?  The blue and black cotton were scraps from my stash.  Buttons were from JoAnn's.

Based on his measurements, I made a size three.  It appears there is plenty of ease, so if it's a little big, that will give him some growing room.

The instructions were good and with this very basic pattern, no head scratching moments at all!

I really love to applique and use to do it all the time when my own four kiddos were small and now that Simon is around, I have rediscovered my love for it!

Isn't that tail too much fun?  I only appliqued one side of it and I can't wait to see what he thinks of it!  He hasn't discovered it yet, so I think it will be fun when he does!


For the hood and sleeves, both called for the lining and since I omitted it, I choose to attach bands to finish off the seams.

I also made a huge boo-boo and sewed the face on incorrectly to the hood--how on earth did I manage that?  So I ended up cutting off the stitched applique from the ruined hood and stitching it to a newly cut and correct hod by securing it at the outside edges with a narrow zig-zag.

Grandma-ing is so much fun and if you have a little person in your life, I hope you'll make some fun little garments for him/her!




Thanks for reading!
Sue

6 comments:

  1. So cute! and the hoodie isn't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer Flies! I think he is pretty cute as well!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's adorable! I can tell he loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute little boy! And I love the jacket. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernice! I think he's too cute as well!

      Delete