About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, August 14, 2015

Fall transitional jacket starring StyleArc Livia :)

Fall has to be my most favorite season of the year.  In South Dakota typically the weather is at its best, the trees, flowers, shrubs are filled with color, and the cool evenings and warm days are delightful.  What's a girl to do besides sew some garments that take us from summer to fall and even winter?

  Classic jacket with pocket treatment

In swoops a gorgeous suiting from Fabric Mart in black/blue and ivory novelty weave  with great body, weight, and I knew it would be perfect for the Style Arc Livia jacket.  The colors stated were black and white, but I think the black has a lot of blue in it and found my leather pieces, also from Fabric Mart, were a perfect match!  More on that later!


This pattern was a freebie from July's StyleArc order.  You may remember that I made the StyleArc Sierra Jacket in a plaid suiting, also from Fabric Mart, and when I ordered the pattern, I simply had to state my size in order to receive the free Livia jacket pattern.  I love the clean and classic lines and the simple fit.  Not too boxy but not fitted either. 



I wanted a jacket that would work with jeans for casual Fridays or a skirt or dressier pants for the work week.  


Cutting and sewing the pattern was simple!  There are only nine pattern pieces which include the front and back facings, two sizes of patch pockets, two piece sleeves front, back and side back.  Seriously, this took about 30 minutes to cut and I am a slow poke when it comes to that step!



I love the patch pockets on the front.  I mentioned I used garment leather for the top portions of the pockets.  The leather is hand washable and the suiting fabric is washable on gentle.  I think this will be a win-win fabric combination.  


Sewing this up is fast and easy as well.  There are minimal seams to put together which is a bonus.


Look at those sleeves.  Are they not hanging beautifully or what?  I added 1/4" shoulder pads and found that they rounded out the area perfectly and help the sleeve hang just like it is on a hanger or dress form.


This jacket is unlined and look at how beautifully the fabric is suited for this!  Sometimes I feel like I nail it for fabric and patterns combos and yes, this is one of those times!


Here is a glimpse of the hook and eye type of treatment I used at the neckline. This was in the button section of JoAnn's fabrics and I thought it would be a tad bit nicer than a regular hook and eye the pattern calls for.


I love this fabric, I love my jacket so pick up some suiting fabric from Fabric Mart, match it to pattern and show me what you've created!

Thanks for reading!
Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment