About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, June 22, 2014

McCall's Tunic 6794

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/filebin/images/product_images/Full/M6794.jpg






Here is my review for what I had hoped would be a cute little tunic made out of my beautiful rayon/cotton blended fabric I purchased last fall when my daughter and I went to a quilt show.  I had been waiting for just the right pattern and thought I had found it, but I am sorely disappointed.  Let me know what you think.....

The description from the back of the envelope simply states this is a very loose-fitting, pullover tops and tunics have neckline variations, front gathered into midriff, attached tie ends, and narrow hem.  A: gathered sleeves and bands.  C: shaped back hemline, wrong side shows. 
I made View D.
When I purchase a piece of fabric which I have no immediate plan for, I typically get three yards.  With this fabric, there was no exception to my three-yard rule.  This top took almost all my fabric, which is okay, but keep in mind this pattern is somewhat of a hog.  Cutting out and putting together was fast and uncomplicated.  The directions all made perfect sense and I had no issues whatsoever.  There really aren't that many steps for this top, so I really feel like it you love the style and are a beginner, you'll have success.


I changed just a few minor things in hopes I would like the top better, but I simply don't.  My neckline facing is different than making a regular sized facing and stitching it in.


I made my facing narrower and on the bias so I could turn it under.  After edge stitching the facing, I top-stitched two rows on the outside and I think it gives a nice finish.


So here is what I don't like.  It is all in the design.  I don't like having my bra show at the side seams.  I don't think I should have to wear a cami underneath a high-necked top.  I should have known by looking at the model on the envelope.  By the looks of it, her bra is also showing!


Another modification I made was to add some elastic at the back waist to help keep some of the fullness in control.  I think it helps control how the top lays in the back, but given the bra showing problem, I am going to consider this a wad.  I even tried to pull it up at the shoulder seams, but that makes it a lot more difficult to take on and off and also it interferes with the waistband detail.  Argh!

Thanks for reading, this is a big thumbs down for me! 

Sue :) 

2 comments:

  1. Ah me. I was nodding my head as I read this. I want so much to love this pattern, but I flip past that hanger so fast in my closet! I love your fabric- it's making me quite covetous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--I love the fabric as well, but this is not staying in my closet. I am going to salvage what I can of the lovely fabric and create something else. Ugh!

      Delete