About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, July 9, 2012

Vogue 8636 Marcy Tilton Top



This top is one of Marcy Tilton's patterns from 2010. Here is the link to the pattern photograph Vogue 8636.  Here is the description from the back of the envelope: Fitted, pullover tops A, B, C, D with darted neckbands.  A: contrast sleeve and neck band, lower edge of sleeve is raw-finished.  B, C: three-quarter length sleeves.  C: pleats over front neck darts, decorative buttons.  D: darts on outside of neckband and lower edge of sleeve.

I modified view B.  More on modifications below. 

I used a wonderfully soft bamboo-cotton knit I purchased from either Fabric.com or Fabric Mart.  I simply have so much fabric in my stash, I can't remember!  It is very light weight, exactly what I wanted for this top.  I love the shocking pink color!  The print on the fabric was created by ME!  I screened printed those three motifs on the fabric AFTER I had the pattern cut out.  It was great fun! 

This top is super easy to put together and has so many design possibilities!  You can use a variety of fabrics, patterns, weights and will become a TNT for me! 

What I liked/disliked: Love the styling.  The raglan sleeves are fantastic and this top fits well--if you want something more fitted than a regular knit top.  It is also very modest, something I love!  This takes relatively little fabric and you can play with embellishments!  What more could you ask for? 
No dislikes whatsoever!

What I changed:  Screen printing, of course!  I also lowered the neckline 2 inches in front.  I was at a sewing workshop hosted by Katherine Tilton over the weekend and she, along with a few others, suggested that I lower the neckline a little.  So, I did!  I also decided to narrow the neckline to about 5/8 inch instead of the about 2 inch one in the pattern. 

Would I recommend this?  Absolutely!  I plan on making it again with sheer sleeves for fall.  For winter, I would love to use some funky buttons on the neckline. 

Conclusion: great top!  Try this pattern! 

Thanks for reading!
Sue

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful T! It fits well and looks great on you...the color is very flattering. Love the screen printing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! I've got to get marceying' this is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the printing on the fantastic shocking pink! It looks fantastic! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete