About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, July 19, 2012

McCall's 6035

What a fun top!  This is a McCall's pattern for four versions of a princess seamed blouse.  I simply love this pattern!  I believe this will become a TNT for me! 

Here is my version and review. 

Pattern Description:
Here is the description from the back of the pattern envelope: Shirts A, B, C, D have princess seams and button closures, shirt A has collar band and short sleeves with cuffs; shirts B, C, D have collar, collar band and below elbow length sleeves; shirt B has sleeves with cuffs shirt C has sleeves with turn back cuffs with tabs; shirt D has sleeves with drawstrings, separate pattern pieces provided for A/B, C, D cup sizes.  pattern image

Suggested fabrics: lightweight fabrics such as cotton, cotton blends, challis, crepe de chine, charmeuse, silk rayon, handkerchief linen. 




Pattern Sizing:  This is a multi-sized pattern.  I used a 14 for this top. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, I believe that is looks just like the drawing. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?
This is a well written, well configured pattern.  Everything fit together well, notches matched up.  If you are a beginner and haven't sewn a blouse, this might be the pattern for you! 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really love these 'cup' sized patterns.  They eliminate the need to complete an FBA.  I have had wonderful success with every pattern that has cup sizes included. 

Fabric Used:
I used 100% linen from SR Harris in Minneapolis.  I love the turquoise and orange combination.  I was able to use orange buttons for this blouse.  How often do you get to do that?  I love orange! 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made a 1/2 inch swayback alteration and am glad I did.  Design changes include a great deal more topstitching than is included int he pattern.  The pattern instruction have you top stitch the front band.  I included topstitching on the princess seams, around the collar band, the sleeve bands, and a double row on the hem.  I used a beautiful rayon Sulky thread that matched so well I simply had to use it a lot on the blouse. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I have a few pieces in my stash that I am eying for versions B & D.  They are different enough from A that I can use this pattern at least three times, if not many more! 
Yes, I do recommend this pattern to others.  It is fast, easy, ripe for embellishments, and fun to put together.  If you are speedy, this could become an instant gratification project--it is that easy! 

Conclusion:
This is a great pattern.  I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to sew it up!
Thanks for reading!
Sue

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous shirt! Did you find that the sleeve fit made it hard to lift your arms at all? I'm working on a muslin for this exact shirt and know I need to go up in 1 shirt size. But once I gathered the bottom of the sleeve (I did that after I attached the sleeve) I couldn't lift my arm up! Would going up in size help? I have read that some people with this problem need to adjust the arm sythe to be smaller...

    ReplyDelete