About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Vogue 1247 top

I was so excited when I saw this pattern and just think it is adorable on!  I just love all the versions of this well-drafted, stylish top! 
Here is my version but first things first, the pattern photo: Pattern photograph

This is one of Vogue's American Designer series from Rachel Comey.  It is so much fun to put together designer patterns!  This one is rated Average, mostly because of the french seams on the top is what I figured. 

Here is the description from the Vogue website:
MISSES' TOP AND SKIRT: Very loose-fitting top. Semi-fitted A-lined skirt has front in-seam pockets.
NOTIONS: Skirt: One 7"/9" Invisible Zipper, One Waistband Hook and Eye Closure.
FABRICS: Top: Crepe de Chine, Charmeuse, Lightweight Linen.
Skirt: Taffeta, Lightweight Gabardine, Lightweight Denim, Linen.
Lining: Lining Fabrics.

Fabric used: I used a soft 100% cotton that I cut out and then silk screened using one of Marcy Tilton's screens called Bouquet and some glittery, silver fabric paint. 

Did it look like the pattern picture: yes, I believe it does.  The pattern lines make this top distinct. 

Design/pattern modifications: get ready for it--I only changed one thing and that was eliminating about half of the french seams.  Can you believe it?  I pretty much left the design alone!  Oh wait, I did silk screen the fabric after I cut out the pieces.  I wanted just enough, but not too much of the pattern of the screen with the gray/silver paint. 

So, leaving the construction alone and sallying forth, I put this top together in just a few hours!  Yes, it is loose fitting and perhaps my fabric isn't as flowy as the model on the envelope, but I do believe that with several more washings (and no ironings) this cotton will feel like butter! 

I highly recommend this top.  I am going to try it again in a silkier fabric.  I will definitely create the skirt--only in a longer length. 

Thanks for reading!


Sue

1 comment:

  1. Sue, I've just made the skirt too and added a whopping 8" to the length. But it's a great wee skirt - really practical with the pockets. I'm so impressed with your silk screening - it adds a really unique touch - lovely.

    ReplyDelete