About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Simplicityy 2455

This is a Simplicity pattern for a Misses' wardrobe of a simple dress or top, pants and jacket.  There is an optional belt for the dress.  This pattern is one of the Thread's Magazine collections.   Here is a link to the pattern numbered 2455.  Pattern Image 
I originally made this dress last summer and the fabric shown is one I was using for a muslin.  I purchased it for 75% off!  I ended up really liking it.  Unfortunately, I only wore the dress once because I didn't like how the upper bodice fit me.  So, along came beautiful DD2 and she tried it on.  It fit her okay, but we wanted it to fit her much better. 

Pattern Sizing:  This is a multi-sized pattern.  I believe it ran true to size except through the bust area.  It was a little snug in that spot. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, it does, except I didn't use the belt.  I didn't think the fabric worked well as a belt. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Instructions were very easy to follow.  Except for the bust area, this pattern is well drafted and well written.  Instructions were great. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I wanted a simple sheath dress that had modest coverage for work and this pattern met that criteria.  I just wish it would have fit me better.  I am glad I was able to salvage the dress for DD2.  My favorite part of the entire dress is how the invisible zipper is inserted into the side seam, about 3 inches from the base of the armhole.  The zipper pull doesn't dig into your arm pit.  The placement is great! 

Fabric Used:
I used a cotton/poly Jacquard.  It was a debate with myself as to which side of the fabric I was going to use.  I ended up with the off-white, light grey side rather than the turquoise side. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
To adjust this dress to fit my petite daughter, I took the neckline off and raised the back of the dress by adjusting the shoulder seams to accomodate the lower seamline (I hope this makes sense).  I adjusted the back by an inch. 
Next, the fit was a little roomy in the waist line and hips and so we inserted vertical darts in the front and back.  That little trick worked really well. 
I raised the hemline by about 3 inches as she is not as tall as I am. 
I didn't use the bias tape for the armhole seams but used bias cut fabric.  My fabric was rather ravely and the bias tape just didn't have the containment power, if you know what I mean. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I may try this pattern again.  I think the jacket has some possibilities.  I usually don't really repeat patterns since my collection of them seems to multiply like rabbits! 

Conclusion:
This is a simple, well-designed dress that has many possibilities.  If you want an easy sewing fix, whip this up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment