About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Bela by Gina Renee Designs


Happy summer all!  Today, I have for you a new to me pattern company.  Here's a pic of the dress and a link to the pattern: 

shift dress pattern

How adorable is this dress?  One of the most fun things about the on-line sewing community is that you get introduced to new designs, new ideas, and new pattern companies.  One of my favorite IG sewing buddies is birdy sew obsessed.  She makes the most beautiful things and I find myself copying her makes.  


She made this dress is an off-white silk crepe with black silk accents.  I knew I wanted something far more casual as when I return to work on August 1st, I will be in classrooms more often than I have been the past two years.  There's nothing worse than a three year old wiping his/her nose (insert  other bodily cavity here) on your hemline, neckline, or sleeve.  I needed something washable. Know what I mean?


I found this Telio stretch poplin at Fabric.com.  I so love Telio!  It is such nice quality for not a hefty price tag.  I thought this print was so perfect for summer.


I made this pattern as is meaning I didn't adjust for sizing.  It needs to slip on and off over your head.  For the next version, I will raise the back slit so it's a little more bra friendly.  I may also go down a size as while this is generous, I think I could go down one size and be fine.


How cute are those sleeve details?  The entire neckline and sleeves are edged in bias tape.  This bright blue is from my stash.  Several years ago, I purchased a rather sizeable amount of antique bias tapes, rick-rack, etc.  I am still reaping the rewards of that purchase.  Luckily it matched perfectly.


I really like this dress.  It's very comfortable and casual, plus it's washable.
Thanks for the inspiration birdy!
Happy sewing!
Sue

6 comments:

  1. what a lovely dress! your version feels very fresh and summery, and the trim makes it very chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SewRuthie! What a lovely thing to say!

      Delete
  2. Yesss after a week of hosting my 3-year-old nephew I TRULY understand the value of wash-ability. It's a lovely frock with a fresh springy energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lia! Washability and young children is a MUST! :)

      Delete