About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, July 26, 2019

Blackwood Cardigan Round 2

Unless you've been vacationing on Mars, you've seen all the love shown to the Blackwood Cardigan by Helen's Closet.  

Blackwood Cardigan

All this love is for good reason.  This pattern is awesome!  It looks good in so many different fabrics and every version I see is so cute!  

In reorganizing my current sewing space to move to another, I am seriously wondering about my over-flowing stash and why I am hanging onto some fabrics for so long.  This floral knit mesh is one of those fabrics.  When I pulled it out again, it was like the creativity train hit me upside the head and the Blackwood Cardi came into site.  Bingo! 



This pattern can be totally sewn on the serger if you'd like.  It is drafted exceptionally well and versatile.  What else can I say about it?  


In case you are wondering about the length, I did add 4" to the bottom.  Since this is summer-weight, I also left off the cuffs and hemmed them.  I knew I'd be pushing them up.  If I pull them down, they are bracelet-length.  



With this ultra light weight fabric, I stabilized the shoulders and back neckline with SewkeysE tape 1/2" wide.  For the hemline I used 1" SewkeysE tape in clear so it's double sided. This stuff works like a dream!  

I did leave off the pockets since I knew I'd be wearing this over something that most likely had pockets.  


For the cami, I had a bit of this vibrant fabric left and since remnants aren't welcome in my sewing room any more, I decided to make a tank to wear under this cardi.  The pattern I chose is this one: 

Free Pattern Itch to Stitch Lago Tank

As you can see, this is by Itch to Stitch.  This pattern is FREE!





I love testing different pattern companies FREE patterns and this one was a pleasure to sew.  I had fun color-blocking it with my remnants.  
Plus, it was a fun challenge to use the mesh as the binding at the neckline and arms.


Enough for now!  
Thanks for reading!
Sue 



1 comment:

  1. Love the length of the cardie, and the tank...AWESOME!
    I keep hearing you mention SewkeysE tape. Might you consider doing a post on it? (What size to use & where to use it. How to use it. Double-sided or single-sided? Color you use the most? Where do you get this stuff?) Please, please, please?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete