About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Another McCall's 7432 in blue!

Welp, I made another dress.  I told myself no more summer dresses, but I simply couldn't help it.  I am sure you know what I mean.  

This time, I used one of my TNT patterns: McCall's 7432.  I love this pattern, almost as much as I love McCall's 6886. 

In a moment of weakness, I picked up this blue floral knit from JoAnns.  It washed and dried beautifully and didn't pill or stretch out of shape.  I think this dress will hold up.  Sometimes with Jo's you get burned.  I hope it's not this time as I really like this dress!  

Here's the pattern I used: 

Image result for images McCall's 7432

It's very basic.  I like the A-line shape along with the three choices of necklines along with sleeve and length options.  

I made view E.  I think it's a classic shape and style for summer.  


As I am always trying to improve fit, I've finally come to realize that when I use a cottony-feel knit, I absolutely must make a seam at the center back waistline.  I use a 1/4" seam at the sides and taper to almost an inch at the dead center back.  This accommodates my swayback.  I've done this on my beloved McCall's 6886 and any time I use this type of knit, I have to with any pattern that doesn't have a seam there.


Here you can see it better.  See how much nicer that fits me?


For the neckband, in previous makes, I found the neckband to be rather wide and hang outwards from your body.  With this neckband, I cut it almost 1/2" narrower and tested it numerous times to make sure it hugged my body.  It does.


Another neckline trick I use is to put the garment on my dress form, and pin the neckband (or sleeve bands) to the garment.  Once I am happy, I remove it and sew.  This works beautifully for me.


For the sleeves and hemline, I used 1" hems and SewkeysE tape.  That stuff is what miracles are made of.  I read a post from Kenneth D. King stating that better knit dresses use 1" hems.  Guess what I now always do for knit hems? 

Thanks so much for reading and I hope your summer sewing is something you feel good about!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment