About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Another Alabama Chanin Skirt Kit

This is at least my third, if not fourth, Alabama Chanin kit that I am reviewing.  There's something about the process of slow sewing that is so gratifying that I seem to have to have a project such as this going constantly. 
The school of making magdalena swing skirt diy garment kit 2

For this project, I used a swing skirt kit.  Everything was ready for me, meaning the fabric was stenciled, the fabric was cut into four panel, and the FOE was included.  I made an additional purchase of the embroidery floss from the AC site.  This is really nice, quality stuff!  It comes on a spool so it is easy to use. 

Here's my version:

This skirt is so easy to wear.  The sewing process is pretty simple, you stitch the layers together using whatever method you like.  I used reverse applique.  For this technique, you stitch around the motif and then cut away the center, basically reversing the applique process. 


I did some other stitches other than the reverse applique.  I also did some daisy stitching and some satin stitching.  I left the lower hem a raw edge and I like how it curls up a bit.


This skirt fits great at the hips and I love the length.  The waistline is a bit large, so I will most likely end up removing the FOE, taking in the waistline at each seam a bit, and reapplying the FOE.


The drape of this is really nice too.


Enough of me modeling this!  Onto some close-ups!



Here you can see the three stitches I used. After the reverse applique, you trim away the insides of the motif.  I carefully pull the front and back pieces away from other with my finger tips, snip, and then carefully trim about 1/8" from the edge.


This is some slow-sewing, but I find it very gratifying!


I machine stitch the side seams and the FOE on.  I love this process so much, I've already started on my next project!

Thanks for reading!
Sue

3 comments:

  1. The skirt is beautiful! Love all the texture from the applique and embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely skirt! The color combo is so summery, and the style very flattering. I appreciate how much work went into it, having made some similar Alabama Chanin garments myself.

    ReplyDelete