About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

McCall's 6513

Here is my latest creation: McCall's 6513.  This is a Palmer/Pletsch pattern, or pattern that fits.  There are various reviews on Sewing Pattern Review that seem to be both positive and negative.  I loved it! 

Here is my review and experience with this pattern. 
Here is the picture from the envelope.  I will save my comments for later.  :) 
Back of the envelope says this: Misses' tops: Close-fitting, pullover tops.  A, B, C, D have gathered front and narrow hem.  B, C, sleeves and C, D, back collar.  Elasticized. 

Fabric recommendations are for Jersey, cotton knit, spun silk knit, matte jersey.

I chose to make view D, long sleeves, draped on the side.  I used a soft and sparkly knit from Gorgeous Fabrics.  This was a selection from my first purchase from that site and I am pleased! 

Palmer/Plestch give an extraordinary amount of directions for such a simple pattern.  As other reviewers have noted, it is rather silly to pin fit the tissue on your for fitting when the finished garment is made of a knit.  Hmmm....if you are really concerned about the fit, make a muslin and skip all that nonsense. 




Everything went together well, fast and easily.  all the notches match up and the pattern is well-drafted. 

I think the top looks super close fitting on both the live models pictured above.  I made my usual size or a 14 and expected it to fit too tight, but I think it is not as close fitting as this pattern would lead you to believe. 

Like other reviewers, I didn't set in the sleeves but sewed them flat and then stitched the sleeve and side seam in one fell swoop. 

I am 5'7" and love the length.  If you are shorter or taller, check the length of the sleeves and hemline. 

I really like the neckline drape.  It is comfortable and didn't seem to gap.  I hope that stays true as I move around a lot at work. 

I highly recommend this pattern!

Thanks for reading!
Sue  

No comments:

Post a Comment