About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Butterick 5857

<b>Pattern Description: </b>
This is a Misses' close fitting top with neckline variations, elasticized shoulders and upper sections, and narrow hems.  A, B, Overlays.  B, C, sleeve slits.  D: Upper sections cut on crosswise grain. 



<b>Pattern Sizing:</b>
This pattern comes in sizes Y (XS to M) ZZ (Lg to XXL)
I made a medium. 

<b>Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?</b>
Yes, it resembles the drawing.  I made a few alterations/modifications.  :)  I made view D. 

<b>Were the instructions easy to follow?</b>
Instructions were just fine.  I glanced at them and then did my own order of sewing.  More on that below. 

<b>What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?</b>
Like: unique styling of the sleeves and the open back.  It makes a funky, cool t-shirt.  Dislikes, nothing really.  However if I do make this long sleeved version again, I will narrow the lower sleeve width.  That however is just a personal preference on my part and nothing to do with the pattern at all.  Even with my larger than I'd like chest, this top has enough ease.  I didn't make any changes to the bodice to get it to fit. 

<b>Fabric Used:</b>
I used some sort of knit from JoAnns.  It was okay to work with.  I specifically purchased it to create this top.  It is a little light weight but since I choose it for the color and pattern, weight wasn't a major consideration.  I am thinking of putting a moratorium on any purchases from Joann until further notice.  Fabrics just haven't been performing as I would like them to. 

<b>Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:</b>
Here is where I had some fun with this pattern, but first I will lead you through the order of construction. 
There really aren't that many steps to this top as it is pretty simple.  However when I got to the step where you insert elastic at the shoulder seam, I thought it would be easier to hem the sleeve slit/opening first.  After hemming the slit I inserted the elastic. 
At that point I also thought it would be easier to press and get the lower sleeve ready for hemming.  I used this opportunity to attach lite steam-a-seam.  I sewed the underarm seam and then hemmed the sleeve opening. 
I didn't use the elastic at the seam where the bodice and lower top meet.  The directions call for it, but I didn't think it was necessary. 
The only other modification I made to the directions was to hem the lower edge prior to attaching it to the upper bodice. 
Here are my modifications.  I plan on wearing this to work and it slipped off my shoulders several times so I attached a tie on each side of the neckline so I can make a cute little bow.  That meant I had to tack the crossover at the back at the critical point so it laid flat. 
The sleeves were really open (no kidding, right?) so to keep it funky I used hair elastics in a turquoise and black buttons and attached those at three places on the slit.  I like the effect. 

>Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?</b>
Yes, I do think I will sew this again.  I would consider using a smaller piece of elastic at the shoulder seam so it gathers more like the picture on the envelope.  I do recommend this to others.  It is easy, goes together quickly and could be dressy or super casual. 

<b>Conclusion: </b>
Another great pattern from Butterick with an extra unappealing line drawing on the front.  I actually choose it based on the photograph on this site: B5857

No comments:

Post a Comment