About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Simplicity 1537 am amazing fit dress :)

I am working on sewing up my precious fabrics from my stash.  Actually, I am working on sewing up any of the fabrics from my stash...it is out of control and I am trying to get it under control.  Do any of you have my problem?  Both of my daughters shamed me at Christmas time--and it was well deserved...my once very nice sewing room is a disaster.  I needed a challenge and I needed it now.  No more fabric, notion, or pattern purchases for the month of January.  I have actually extended this deadline to the end of February and perhaps March....we'll see....I am enjoying the challenge as I am somewhat competitive by nature!



So onto why you are here!  This lovely fabric is a wool from Emma One Sock purchase.  And, I've had it for at least a year....Why, Why, WHY!!!! did I wait so....long....to sew it up!!!




I used a pattern that has been in my stash for quite some time as I wanted a classic look for this dress.  I also chose this pattern to match the fabric just to hope for a perfect match.  Here is the pattern I used: 


 Image result for images Simplicity 1537


  
What I love about these amazing fit patterns is that they have separate cup sizes.  They also let you determine if you are a slim, average, or curvy fit and let you cut the bottom half appropriately.  You can truly get an amazing fit if you take the time to fit the pattern.  :)  


I really like the styling of this with the dropped waistline, and the variety of sleeve and hemline lengths.  At first, I made the length of version B with the sleeve length of C.  I looked matronly.  I immediately took the sleeves off and sewed the short sleeves.  Thank goodness I had enough fabric to do this!  

I opted not to line it as it fit and hung beautifully, if it is okay to say so.  This is a wool from Emma One Sock.  Did I already mention that?  This sews up beautifully and when I have my stash to a reasonable level then I am totally going to purchase more of this in other colors!  



I hand-hemmed the sleeves and lower edges.  I inserted an invisible zipper.  Other than that, my modifications were using the c-cup and average waist and hip line.  I also made a sloping shoulder adjustment.  That's it!  

I love this pattern and plan on using it again!  

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

5 comments:

  1. I just realized this wasn't a skirt in your last post re the cardigan but a dress! Beautiful the way it drapes and fits you in the upper body. I have this pattern but have yet to make it up. I'll take your comment about the longer sleeves making you look, "matronly" under advisement when I do get around to it. I thought this pattern would be helpful in developing a "block" I could then use for other patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Kathleen, it would make a great pattern block! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Really pretty, I love that color! Could you say what type of wool it is? I am so curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, I believe it is a wool gaberdine.

      Delete
  3. Thanks! I pulled this out today for the annual Easter dress! Yours looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete