I finally made this pattern from my long neglected stash and love it!
I now see why everyone loves their maxi dresses! It feels like I am wearing an ultra comfy pair of pajamas! I was sort of afraid that I had missed the boat on the maxi dress adventure, but went into a nearby department store and they had at least 30 different maxi dresses to choose from! I just hate being late for the show!
This dress is described on the package envelope as a pullover dress that has fitted mock wrap bodice, shoulder ties, elasticized shoulders and raised waist, fitted, narrow hem, thread carriers and self belt. Well, McCalls, I have a few issues with your description. First of all, I made this dress according to my measurements and it wasn't just too big but sloppily huge! As you can see from the amount of fabric I am holding out to my side, I need to do some serious reducing here to make this work.
I thought about just dropping this on the floor and leaving it for a while, but I really love this fabric. It's pretty and perfect for this dress. So, I picked it apart and started again.
As you can tell, I made some changes to this pattern. I didn't want the back bodice in a v as I wanted some additional coverage so it is more work appropriate. I can't just put layers on as I work with kids, I get HOT!!! and I hate sweating profusely and having them ask me why my face is wet. So, I reworked the back piece and made it so it is one-piece and has a lot more coverage. As you also notice, the neckline is super low, I mean you can see the model's bra on the cover photo. I can't have my bra showing so I cut 2 inch bias bands, folded them lengthwise, pressed lightly and sewed to the neckline from front around the back and to the other front edge. I did very slightly stretch this so it laid a little snugger on my body. I did go ahead and gather the shoulder edges and gather those to the back shoulder seams. I added the bands to the armholes stretching slightly so they hugged the bodice to my body--no gapping seen! Yay!
Those were my modifications. One alteration I made was to shorten the skirt by 2.5 inches. I was so surprised being 5'7" and all, in fact I thought it may be a tad short and I would have to make my dress knee-length. I used my cover stitch machine for the hemline. I need to find some good tutorials on how to use the cover stitch as I feel very incompetent when using it.
I didn't even bother with the belt. I don't like self-fabric belts made from knits so I just decided to use a regular belt.
Thanks for reading! I so enjoy your comments!