About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Vogue 8792 Striped top!

Pattern Description:  This is a Vogue options pattern.  It is rated as Easy and that is exactly how I would describe it.  This is the second time around with this pattern.  The first time, I made view B., this time view F. 
Here is the description from the back of the envelope:
Misses' top: Pullover top has neck band and seam detail.  A, B, C: Bias, loose-fitting front extends to upper back, back extends to upper front, no shoulder or side seams and stitched hem.  D, E, F: Close-fitting, bias lower front and lower back, raw edge finish and stitched hem on sleeves.  Front and back cut on crosswise grain of fabric. 

Pattern Sizing:
This is a multi-sized pattern. Based on using Vogue many times before, I made a size 14.  This is a nicely shaped top (for views D, E, F anyway) and I am happy with the fit.  I wanted something close-fitting, and that is exactly what I got. 




Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Pretty much.  I didn't have quite enough fabric for the sleeves so that is how I came up with the piecing on them.  Since you cut this on the crossgrain and since I cut for view F or the tunic length, I simply didn't have enough to make the bracelet-length sleeves so I pieced them. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?
 Yes, very much so.  The order of construction was wonky.  I sewed the neckband much earlier than the last step as was suggested by the instructions.  Also, there was no mention of stabilizing the shoulder seam.  I did that with clear elastic.  Also, I stay-stitched the neckline before applying the neckband.  It just looked like there could be a possibility of things going awry, so I took steps to prevent mishaps. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Loves:

 1.  A shaped t pattern.  That doesn't happen often!  Also, this pattern is close fitting, just as the pattern suggests.  No alterations needed! 
2.  I love the length of the tunic.  It is just perfect for leggings.  I am so ready for fall with this pattern! 
3.  I really like the bracelet-length sleeves.  This is a nice change from long sleeves like most patterns.  I typically push my sleeves up anyway. 
 Dislikes:
1.  All the raw edges.  I tried to stitch the side panels on using raw edges, but my fabric rolled at the cut edge quite a bit and it just wasn't worth the struggle.  I went forth using right sides together, pressing, and topstitching using a double needle. 
2.  No stabilization at the shoulder seams.
3.  Neckline.  I lowered it by 3 inches and it is still in a modest place. 
4.  Darts in T-s.  But given the fit, it is necessary. 

 Fabric Used:
I poly/Lycra knit from Treadle Yard Goods in St Paul, MN.  The black was from my stash. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Other than lowering the neckline, none.  

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Maybe, it is pretty distinct.  I would use it for a pattern as a fitting guide, if that makes sense.  I am not totally sure about the vertical stripes.  I wish I would have made this fabric into something else.   

Conclusion:
Love the length, feel of the fabric, and the fact I can wear this with leggings.  Other than that, I don't absolutely love it.  I am sure I will wear it quite a bit as it is comfortable. 

Thanks for reading!
Sue

6 comments:

  1. Crikey I've been looking through your posts and you sure do some sewing. If I get one thing done a month (and simple) I am pleased. Anything complicated can take two or three months, longer still if I can't find buttons etc., that I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I understand, it is all a process of collecting supplies over time. You'll get there!

      Delete
  2. Nice top. I have this pattern waiting to be sewn someday. Maybe something for fall as you did with this tunic top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stripes and the way you pieced the sleeves...turned them into a great design feature.

    ReplyDelete