About Me

My Photo
I simply love to be busy and create things, especially my own custom-made garments. Nothing is more fun than answering the question, "Where did you get that?"

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Vogue 8636 Colorblocked, stripey top!

Here is my latest version of Marcy Tilton's simple t-top.  I've made this one a few times before, but this time, I made some major changes. 
Here goes! 

Pattern Description:
Fitted, pullover tops, A, B, C, D with darted neckbands.  A: Contrast sleeve and neck band, lower edge of sleeve is raw-finished.  B, C: Three-quarter length sleeves, C: pleats over front neck darts, decorative buttons.  D: darts on outside of neck band and lower edge of sleeves. 
I made a modified version of view B. 
I love the raglan-style sleeves. 

Here is my inspiration photo that inspired me to use this fabric this way:

I wish I could tell you where this top is purchased, but there weren't any photo credits with it.  Sorry to whomever created this cute top! 


This top is one from Ann Taylor.  Also super cute. 

Pattern Sizing:
I've made this pattern a few times and this is the first time I've used this stretchy of a fabric.  I started with a 14 and added about 1/2" at the waistline and hips as I didn't want it too snug.  I wanted it to skim my body rather than be fitted as the pattern suggests. 

Fabric Used:
For my top, I combined two fabrics.  The floral stripe is a panel that was narrower than the standard 60 ish inches and only a little over 1/2 yard.  I matched the purple in the floral to the solid I used in the color-blocked sections.  I purchased both pieces at Treadle Yard Goods in Minneapolis.  The floral/stripe is super high quality and beautiful to work with.  The solid seemed a little higher grade than ordinary, but not something to get super excited about.  The sleeves were cut from additional stripes that ran above the floral section.  I cut that section off and used it for the sleeves. 




Does the finished garment look like the pattern envelope?
No, not really, and that was totally intentional. 

Modifications/alterations to the pattern:
Here goes!
1.  I cut the three pattern pieces used in this top (front, back, sleeves) into three sections using the armhole as a guide. 
2.  From these three pieces, I added seam allowances and cut the two pieces of fabric and sewed them into one piece that fit the pattern pieces. 
3.  I lowered the neckline about 3 inches.  It is pretty high. 
4.  I added narrow binding at the neckline, sleeves, and hem.  I was only going to do this at the neckline but with this fabric it didn't lay as nice as I wanted it to when I hemmed it, so binding was cut and applied. 
5.  As I mentioned earlier, I added about 1/2" total to the waistline and hip area.  I wanted this more skimming than fitted. 

Recommendations:
I really like this basic t-shirt pattern.  It is comfortable and you can be super creative with it!  It seems well drafted as everything lines up well. 

Conclusion:
I had a lot of fun creating this top.  DH said this brought a new level of creativity that he hasn't seen before, so that makes me want to try more color blocking!  If I try combining a stripe and floral again, I think I will have the stripe on the sleeve start about 1 inch higher than I have it here.

Thanks for reading!
Sue

2 comments: