About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Playing with strips (and polka-dots!) Deer and Doe, Datura



Stripes and polka dots!  Love them both and knew I wanted to combine both in this top.  




               

I fell in love with this stripe.  I purchased it at a quilt shop about an hour from my home.  I had no intention of using it for a quilt, I knew I wanted a top from it.  I also thought I had purchased enough to make what I intended but I came up short so I found a pattern that would work and had a Tim Gunn moment!  

This polka-dot is from my stash and I knew I wanted to have some fun and play with these fabrics together.  



This pattern is from Deer and Doe and is called the Datura Top.  I made this last summer in a denim that I just love!  This version is the other view of the top.  





 As you can see, I added piping to the collar and at the center back, I added a wedge of the same fabric.  The pink collar is from the same quilt store I purchased the stripe from.  

Datura blouse


I almost forgot to add that I included an exposed zip--just for fun!

This pattern is very well drafted.  I just made sure the bust dart hit me where it needed to and that this fit well before stitching up.  


Really, that's it!  I now have a very colorful top for the rest of the summer!

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

11 comments:

  1. This is the cutest top I have seen all summer in RTW and handmade! Wow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! That is so nice to hear!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgia! It was fun to create!

      Delete
  3. Love your top and the great play with 3 fabrics!!!! Enjoy all the good comments coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made up a Datura earlier in the summer and just love this pattern too. I made up the one with the bias tape triangles and that was no easy feat I have to say! One of the triangles ended up smaller than the other 2 but there was no way I was unpicking it to try again. I had to make quite a few adjustments - doing a full fba and changing the darts a lot. I closed the side dart since it wouldn't work for me anyway (too high) and then added 2 - a french dart and one from the armhole and the fit came out really good. I'll have to make up another but with the collar this time. Yours is lovely - so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you made this work for you Kathleen! It's fun and those triangles are a booger!

      Delete
  5. Wow for a quilting fabric this made a great top. I’ve not had great success these cottons for tips. But his one has a nice drape - love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to tell you that I am just very new to blogs and absolutely enjoyed this blog. Very likely I’m planning to bookmark your blog post. You surely have excellent posts. Thanks a lot for revealing your website page. Customised Jeans for men  

    ReplyDelete