About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Merchant and Mills Bantam top/dress

I simply had to make something from Merchant and Mills.  Have you seen their site?  Here is a link if you are interested: Merchant and Mills

I love the simplicity of their designs and the way their garments are executed.  This pattern is super simple but I really love it.  It comes from this book: Image result for merchant and mills workbook images
Here's a line drawing of the pattern from the book:

Image result for merchant and mills workbook images Bantam

This is a photo from the book I found on Pinterest.  

Image result for merchant and mills workbook images Bantam

See what I mean by super simple?  


This one, is by far my favorite.  I used a cotton that was prepared for ice-dying, and I had a blast dying it last summer.  I love the colors and the pattern.  No two pieces ever turn out the same so this was a lot of fun for me!


Using the book as a guide for my sizing, I decided to go with a large and whoa-boy it was HUGE!!!  I took about two inches off each side seam.  I would say I ended up with somewhere between a small and a medium.  With a pattern like this, I think it is better to err on the side of caution and cut it a bit bigger as you can always take it in.


You'll notice on this version that I decided to have exposed bands at all the edges: neckline, armscyes, and lower hem.  I didn't want my fun fabric to hide on the insides!


If you have the right bra, this is a bra friendly design. 

After this success, I decided to lengthen the pattern about 12" and make a dress.  



This time I used this shocking pink linen! 



The hubby thinks this looks trashy, but I don't.  What do you think?


To me, it is perfect for lounging around on a super hot summer day, or wearing it to run errands.


If you've never tried M & M patterns, do give them a try!  I am going to make the skirt next from the book I showed at the beginning of this post.

Happy sewing!
Sue

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sue—the fit on these is great! Yours are more inspiring than M&M’s I think. I have the book but haven’t braved any of the patterns yet. I don’t think the pink one looks trashy at all, but being short, it does look quite casual/beachy. A contrasting hem border would dress it up. But that fit! ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! This pattern is a great one for a first try as there are few pieces to trace off! I love the idea of a contrast hem border! The fit too is quite easy to alter. I highly recommend trying this! Did I also mention that it takes very little yardage so it is perfect for small amounts in your stash or new purchases?

      Delete
    2. It’s going in the sewing queue!

      Delete
  2. Hubby's always think things look "trashy" lol As soon as my husband says that I mentally/automatically delete it from my opinion albumn :) It doesn't look trashy at all! I love it. I've often read how M&M's diagrams/pictures do little to flatter their patterns - it's almost a miracle they sell any at all yet when they're made up WOWZA - so well drafted and simple and wearable. Love both your versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! I will have to start hitting the delete button when he comments in a less than stellar opinion. He doesn't have to like everything I wear/make as I don't love/like all of his garments!
      I do agree with you on M & M's visuals of their patterns...glam it up a bit!

      Delete