About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

McCall's 7122 embellished!


I have been eyeing the Alabama Chanin designs for so long and I tried embellishing on another garment and I simply love it.  I wanted to give this another try.  Here's what I came up with. 

I used this pattern from McCall's: 

An oldie, but a goodie!

I made the cap sleeve version of B but with the length of D.


I choose to embellish the bottom of the dress front and on the center upper back.


I like the contrast of the magenta with the blue.


I could have done a lot more but I am still playing with how this technique works best and don't want to commit to a huge project when I am in the learning stage.


I have always liked the fit of this dress.  It's comfortable and with the organic cotton, very soft.


Here you can see what I did on the back.


I pulled up the dress so you can better see the hemline.


Here is a close up of the work.  You can see my 'thread' is variegated.  Actually, I didn't use thread at all but yarn for knitting!  On a whim, I stopped at a local knitting shop to look for unique buttons and stumbled across this yarn.  It's 100% cotton, super soft and I really like the colors.  


The yarn was small width wise, but still a bit thick for hand sewing so I separated the strands in half and used 3/4 strands to sew with.


I used some magenta on the neckline to balance the design at the hem.



This is what the hand sewing looks like on the inside of the garment. 
Just a few notes, Alabama Chanin hand stitches their garments and leaves them unhemmed.  You can see by my photos, I did neither of those things! I machine stitched the entire thing and in between the areas on the hem, I added machine hems.  Maybe someday I will be able to sleep at night if I leave a hem undone, but for now, it ain't happening.

I like this a lot!  It's unique and since I love maxi's so much, it fits with my wardrobe quite nicely.  I will be looking for more ways to make these sewing techniques work!
Thanks for reading!
Sue

1 comment:

  1. I did something very similar on a Tee I wore just yesterday and did some leaves at the wrist and across the upper back. I wasn't thrilled with my result (yours is lovely with the colour combination you chose!) but I wear it none-the-less. I keep going back to this design process in my mind too.

    ReplyDelete