About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, June 15, 2018

What to make when you dye your own fabric

I recently needed a mo-jo boost and saw some cute fabric and pattern kits on Fabric Mart's site.  This little simple dress was one of the patterns and I liked the fabric that was in the kit with it.

Image result for images green bee amelia dress

This dress has lots of images online of people who've used the pattern.  Every version I saw was very cute!  So, I thought I would purchase this kit and give it a whirl.


I however decided to use my recently dyed lightweight denim from my stash.  I thought this fabric screamed summer and I wanted a simple dress pattern to pair it with.



I spent a lot of time fitting this pattern to me and is still needs tweaking, but I really like this dress and will wear it anyway.  


You can see at the bust line it is pulling.  I will have to continue to fit that area.  It probably didn't help that my denim also has some stretch to it.  When you mix that with the fact that the dress is cut on the bias, that could be a recipe for disaster.


Most of my fitting issues were in the back.  I made a HUGE swayback adjustment and still needed to pull it up at the neckline.  Sorry for not showing you back photos!  I also moved the zipper to the side seam.  That requires a modification at the back facing, but it wasn't a big deal at all.  

I wore this dress to work and received so many compliments on it!  Now that I've figured out how to fit this pattern to me, I will make it again.  

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

No comments:

Post a Comment