About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, October 29, 2016

McCall's 7390 a love hate relationship

So....I both love and hate this pattern.  Why?  Well, let's back up. 

 This is my wearable muslin.  I really like what I did with my fabric, but it is rather ill-fitting.  Ugh.  I will still wear it.  I still love it.  But based on those changes I needed to make for another garment, which I eventually made, it didn't fit at all! In fact, I had to toss it!  Operator error?  I don't think so.  Let me explain a little more.  


For my muslin, I made view D, or at least a modified version of it.  I made my usual FBA, swayback adjustment, and sloping shoulder adjustment.  


I love the little peplum look of the lower skirt.  My fabric choices were a cotton for the main body and a linen-burn out for the sleeves and front overlay.  


I treated the front overlay and lining fabric as one and 'bagged' it so that I didn't have a hemline on the front.  If that makes any sense whatsoever.  


While that front collar area looks like it doesn't match, trust me, it does!  Even down to the millimeter.  

For my second go around, I decided to make view A as I had a beautiful stripe that I wanted to play with.  It didn't fit in the hips at all.  I NEVER had EVER had an issue with this in patterns from the big 4.  Just be aware of that if you make this pattern.  

While I like my top, it still needs work fitting it and I will most likely put this pattern away since I have so many I want to create.  

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

8 comments:

  1. Aaarrgghh...doesn't happen very often, I like big 4 consistency. the white is really cute, bet it would be great in a knit as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Coco! I love the consistency of McCall's but this one just doesn't have it. A knit is a great idea!

      Delete
  2. I hate when that happens. I considered this pattern when it came out but opted against it because it looked like it would have fitting trouble over the hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you were right BeccaA! It has a lot of trouble fitting in the hips and that isn't an area I struggle--but believe me, I have plenty of other areas!

      Delete
  3. Sue,
    I love following your sewing adventures, and I bought this pattern because I thought it was kind of sweet, but after looking at your blouse, now I'm not even sure I'll try it! From the pictures it looks like you need more room across the back, and also across the bust. What a pain when a pattern is so poorly drafted, huh?? That said, the blouse is awfully cute on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how frustrating when things don't work out! Regardless, your wearable muslin is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fabric choices, but.. . I made view B, sleeveless with the peplum and it was just all wrong! Too big, didn't hang right. . .I used a lightweight drapey cotton. It's in the trash. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabric choices. I am struggling with the split neck. The diagram is so confusing.

    ReplyDelete