So many possibilities with this pattern!
I've had this pattern in my stash for quite a while but the fabric was a newer purchase from Fabric Mart as a Maggy London stretch cotton I found perfect for this top. It's SO graphic but that's what appealed to me so much. And, it's a border print so what fun it was to play with the pattern placement.
The only real concern I have with stretch fabrics and border prints is that the stretch in the cross grain and the placement of the pattern on the cross grain could cause the garment to stretch out of shape in the length? Is this just hogwash? Anyone have an expert opinion on this? I have quite a few of these types of fabrics in my stash but just don't know how to use them.
While the overall pattern is super simple, you do have to read the actual instructions in order to pick the right size and bust size to fit properly,. Trust me on this....I was trying to explain how fitting patterns work to DH and he just didn't get how wonderful these tops/dresses/jackets are that have the built in cup sizing for you. I do like to study these for patterns that I do need to alter as they have some valuable information on them as far as how to adjust for larger bust lines.
Back to the top! Sewing is so easy with this one! There are six pattern pieces and not many steps. I used interfacing in a medium weight for the facings, traced the front slit onto the interfacing and away I went! I really wanted to use the border in the design of the top so I ended up creating a center front seam and mirrored the edges of the print there. I also cut the sleeves with the border in the design as well.
After I finished the entire thing, I decided this top needed a pop of color. I checked in my stash for some thread/yarn suitable for bobbin work but didn't have anything so I did the next best thing I could muster up and that was couching. Couching is basically adding embellishment to a garment by stitching another material on top and securing with thread. I used a feathery decorative stitch and black thread. The decorative stitching gets lost but it's okay, I still like it! DD1 is an AVID knitter and mailed me some small scraps of the incredible yards she's used to create her to DIE FOR sweaters and I started playing with those and came up with simply mirroring the lines of the neck. The teal-ish color wasn't enough so I also added the fuchsia. I love it!
My only alteration to the pattern was to use my typical swayback adjustment and to let the hem out some. The pattern called for a 1.5 inch hem and I used a 5/8" just because I like the length better.
I LOVE my new top and can see making many more Simplicity patterns in the future!
Thanks for reading!