Yep, you've guessed it, I've made this before! It's such a great pattern and I am sad to say it is OOP!
Here is a description:
Close-fitting, pullover top and tunic have double-layered, draped collar, side front/side back seams and stitched hems. C: narrow hem, back longer than front (wrong side shows). A, B, C, D: cup sizes.
For once, now hold onto your chair, I didn't make a tunic but a top, why? I didn't have enough fabric, but more on that later.
I purchased this lovely soy-hemp fabric from Fancy Tiger Crafts in Denver. Wow, do I ever love this fabric! I had no plan when I purchased it but with the lovely color and the quality of the fabric, I swooned! I wanted to make a stash-buster and found this pattern in my stash and thought--why not? I love this pattern. I made a great tunic from it with elbow length sleeves in a jungle print that I can't wait to pull out this spring/summer.
So, how did I save this from wadderville and what the heck happened? Note to self, don't cut out and try to sew when you don't feel well, it doesn't. Work. At. All. Argh. But I do feel like I saved it from doom and have a top I will enjoy wearing.
1. I wasn't paying attention when I cut this out. The neck takes a lot of fabric and I didn't plan accordingly when I was cutting out so I ended up with--of course--is my center front and center back having to be p-i-e-c-e-d or wadded. Oh did I just about cry! At that point I had nothing to loose and decided to piece it as attractively as I could and sew it up.
A view of the front piecing. I intentionally made it off-center and the bottom piece 1/4" from the bottom
|The back--see the piecing? Intentionally off center and hopefully it looks like a design element.|
At first, in my fever ridden state, I thought it looked fine. However, after a night of sort of restful sleep, I went and looked again and thought, crap. Wad that baby up! I fingered the fabric and basking in its deliciousness, decided I had to try and save it so I did.
I have some fun screens from Marcy Tilton and some fun paint I purchased from Dharma paint co and decided to give it a go.
I practiced some screens on scraps with different colors of paint, let dry, cut them out, and played with the placement on the top front and back. I highly recommend this step if you ever decide to paint your garments as fabric paint, especially high-quality paint, shouldn't come out and guess what? It doesn't ever leave the fabric if you make a mistake.
After playing, I went for it and I have to say that I am very pleased with my design and how it helps silence the piecing I made on the front and back. I have a top I can wear and enjoy now!
One thing to remember--when fitting a top and wearing for photos, make sure you have the same bra on for both. It is amazing to me how different my girls look in different bras! I need to throw the one I used for these photos out, immediately!
This is a super easy pattern that has cup sizing. I made a 14 with a C cup. I didn't deviate from the instructions at all and love how everything turned out.
If you don't have this pattern, try and get a copy, it's great!
Thanks for reading! I do love this top!