About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, August 8, 2014

Silhouette Cardigan Pattern




From the Silhouette Patterns Site: 
This pattern is our best basic for anyone and everyone. This is the classic t-shirt, the classic cardigan, and the classic shell. Made only for knits. This pattern has a french dart in the front and fits beautifully on all figure types.

So, I've had this pattern for several years and just hadn't stitched it up yet, until recently.  What was I waiting for?  The cover photo is so cute!  I just didn't have the right fabric and honestly I'm not sure what I used was completely right for this either but while I don't love it, I do like it and plan on wearing it quite a bit.  





So, with Silhouette patterns, the sizing is unique.  Not only do you pick your cup size, but you also pick a favorite garment's fit you like and measure it to determine the size you need to sew.  This was a frightening and new concept to me, but I do like the fit.  I found a fav cardigan and measured it.  I ended up with a size 4 and a C cup.  The fabric was from my stash and is super stretchy.  The finishing edge is supposed to be a ribbon and buttons but I just couldn't finish it off that way, especially with this fabric iI used.  So, I purchased some Kona Cotton, cut bias strips, applied them to the top with my serger.  Next, I folded the edge to the right side and edge stitched.  




While I like the fit, the sleeves are a little long and so that's why I folded them up.  Although I rarely wear any sleeves full length so this is a good solution for me.  


My only alteration to the overall fit was to make my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment.

Will I make this again?  I won't count it out, but I will need to find the perfect fabric. Can I be completely honest?  In a moment of weakness I shelled out $15 for this pattern. Was it worth it?  I don't think so.  While it is certainly ok, it didn't wow me like some others have.  

Thanks for reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment