About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My first, but not last Scout Woven Tee!


Introducing my first, and definitely not last, Scout Woven Tee!  Once again, what too me SO LONG???
For some of these Indy patterns, I truly feel like I am the very last person in the sewing world to try it.  There are so many pretty versions of this tee and I finally, finally gave in and purchased that damn pattern so I could make it!




Yes, so this is exactly what the pattern says, it is a tee made from a woven....not a stretch woven but a true woven and my fabric, that was from my stash, had zero stretch in any direction, even the bias!  It is a loose-fitting top because it slips over your head and down over your body with no zippers, nothing!








I decided to use a stash fabric because as much as I try, I can't seem to do a very good job of using up fabric before purchasing anything else so if every once in a while I use something I already have I consider it a huge bonus!


So about the pattern...super easy with a front, back, sleeve and neckband facing.  That is it which makes total sense when you look at the photo, amirite?  This is an ideal pattern for a beginner or someone leery of knits but wanting to learn how to construct a basic tee. All in the total time commitment from taping together the pdf to stitching the hems was about 1.5 hours.  That's it!  Yippee!


So, alterations since this is large were sort of significant.  I took out my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment and after trying it on when it was basted together, I ended up taking a total of ---wait for it--six inches from the hemline and tapering to nothing at the armhole.  What????  Yes, you read that right!  This was HUGE in the waist and hips.  And, it doesn't look that huge in the pattern photo above, right?  Here is what I am wondering....maybe I need to start using my high bust measurement for the bust and make a FBA....any thought on this for similarly built gals?  Also, the drag lines from the bust are significant too.  I may also have to add a dart....I think I will make a note to myself to try that for next time.


I made a size 12 based on my FBA but as I noted about took the hips and waist dramatically.  I don't think I want it any looser but tighter might be difficult as well.  Any thoughts on this problem?


Thanks for reading!  I do so look forward to reading your comments!
Sue

3 comments:

  1. SO pretty... I love the scout tee.. Such an easy and easy to wear top.. Pretty fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmhmmm...so you must be chomping at the bit for challenge #1! :-)

    Very cute top!

    ReplyDelete