So, I can't seem to stay away from the Tilton girls, so here is my latest creation from Marcy. I am beginning to believe that yes, I was meant to be a Tilton and so I am hoping either Katherine or Marcy will adopt me!
I choose to create 8497 view B. I just love the lines of the top. I am in need of some autumn and winter tops and this one fit the bill.
Here is a line drawing of each view.
This is a multi-sized pattern: AA ranges 6 to 12 and EE ranges from 14 to 20
Here is a description from the back of the pattern envelope: Loose-fitting pullover tops have neckline, hem, sleeve, and hemline variations. A, B, decorative stitching C, side panels (no side seams).
So my original fabric I purchased from none other than Marcy Tilton. I have been eyeing this fabric for a while and finally broke down and purchased some of it. How fun is a geometric print? I love it. The colors are awesome for fall and winter, so I snapped some of it up. As I began laying this out, I quickly discovered that an entire top of this print would take away from the design details, so I rushed to our newly expanded and improved Joanns. They had the perfect poly/cotton/spandex blend in basic black to set off the print. I also decided I needed a transition from the print to stark black so I found a pumpkin-ish colored knit from my stash that I purchased from Treadle Yard Goods in Minneapolis. DH thinks the top is 'really different' but in a good sort of way.
Pattern instructions and design is just great. Directions are super easy to follow. Drafting is accurate and the fit is just what you'd expect in a garment such as this. I love that there are no darts on this top. Sometimes I get tired of darts in a t-shirt.
I made some minor modifications to the design based on the fabric choices I made. I added the pumpkin colored ruffle on the curved edges, both front and back. I added this ruffle just because I felt I needed another color on the top. I decided to use my ruffler attachment for this job and it was super easy. I cut 1 1/2 inch strips of the fabric 44 inches wide and ruffled the entire length. After ruffling, I basted it to the curved edge and then attached the contrast fabric. I didn't like how my fabric laid on the curve with the raw edges showing, so I removed the contrast or the geometric print and laid it with right side together. I serged the edges together and turn the geometric print back. After that step, I followed the pattern directions and top stitched. I know it is okay to leave raw edges exposed in knits, but I am still getting over my fear of doing this. It is easier for me if the fabric is heavier as I seem to have more faith in it. So consequently I couldn't leave the neck edge raw, so I folded it over and stitched. As a result, the neckline is very narrow, only about 1/4 inch instead of about 1 inch.
Other than those very minor design changes, the made two other alterations. The first was to take in the side seams about 1/2 inch on each side. My fabric was pretty stretchy so fit your top before you automatically take any fabric off the sides.
I also lengthened the sleeves so they were long. I like wearing long sleeves in the winter and to have the option for pushing my sleeves up as it is ually too warm for me.
All in all, this is a great pattern. I think there are so many variations that you can use this pattern at least 10 times before tiring of it. To prove my point, I already cut out View C., which is radically different from A or B. I am excited to see how it turns out.
Try this pattern. I believe you will have great results!