About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Katherine Tilton Top

Yes, I believe that I have to sew every single pattern that has a Tilton label on it in the near future, I am hooked! 
My latest and greatest is shown below.
You can see the pattern here: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Vogue+8793&view=detail&id=9A031B4325E15086F2B405DD8D2BCD3B58C41497&first=1

Here is the description from the back of the envelope: Misses' Top: Fitted, pullover tops, A, B, C have inner and outer collars with zipper trim, long sleeves, cuffs and stitched hem.  Contrast collar is cut on crosswise grain of fabric. 
This patter is sized XS to XXL.  I made a medium. 

This pattern is designed for knits only such as lightweight jersey, double knit, or cotton knit.  The only notions you need besides thread is a 24 to 28 inch molded separating zipper or combination of two zippers, fray check and small pieces of knit fusible interfacing. 

Instructions were so easy to follow!  I had no difficulty whatsoever!  The zipper collar looks a little daunting, but it went together slick! 

Here is what I changed/altered: Instead of fusible interfacing at the shoulder seams, I used clear elastic and just stitched it on when I sewed the shoulder seam.  Nothing against interfacing, I just didn't feel like digging it out. 
I purposely offset the zipper on the collar so I wouldn't have to worry about where the opening ended up.  (Refer to the pattern diagram and then look at my neckline to see the difference.)

I also purchased a 28 inch zipper, knowing I could easily cut off the excess without any fuss or worrying about whether it would be long enough or not.  DH thought it would rub my neck, but it doesn't at all, in fact the zipper didn't even touch my skin when I was modeling for him. 
I also didn't flip the collars around so that one main fabric and one contrast fabric showed.  I messed with which sides should be exposed to the world and like the main fabric as forward on both upper and lower collar sections. 

Fabric used: Two lovely knits, both lightweight and from Marcy Tilton.com.  The solid color I layered under the body of the top, as you can see on the patterned sleeve it is rather sheer.  Both knits were wonderful to work with and stitched up well!

There are only 17 steps to this top and if you choose the right fabrics, this will become a show-stopper!  I do plan on creating another in something completely different color wise.  It was fun to put together, rather intuitive, despite what the zipper looks like, and well, fun! 

I think this top can be dressy or very casual depending on your fabric and zipper choices.  Couldn't you just see this with a zipper with rhinestones on the teeth?  How awesome would that be?

Thanks for reading!
Sue

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the review on this top - I have the pattern but haven't made it up yet - your's looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top has made me want to g this pattern sewn up..it has been languishing in stash for a while.

    ReplyDelete