About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, April 11, 2020

More spring separates

Hello all!  I hope this finds you healthy and safe!  We in the northern plains are experiencing  CoVID19 at a much slower rate than other parts of the country/world, but it is rearing it's ugly head,  

Enough!  No one wants to hear more about this, right?  


My original plans with these two lovely fabrics was to make a super girly dress with a dark slip underneath.  I began working from home recently so that didn't seem practical.  After looking through my patterns, I came up with this combination of patterns to match these two lovely fabrics.  


First, let's talk about the chiffon.  Chiffon used to be a fear fabric for me.  I avoided it at all costs.  However, there are so many lovely, lovely garments made from chiffon that I decided to master some techniques to use it in a way that it works and is no longer fearful.  Why didn't I think of this sooner?  

If you are new to working with chiffon, use a simple pattern.  The one I used is very simple to construct with a looser overall style and I've taken the time to fit it to me so I know it will work.  


Bondi Top Class

See what I mean?  Very simple with clean and classic lines.  

What did I do to make the chiffon work?  I am a HUGE fan of Best Press.  I buy this stuff by the gallon.  I use it after I cut the fabric out on all the rounded edges such as the neckline and hems.  Every seam I press, I use Best Press.  


For the back yoke, I cut two layers, instead of one like the pattern suggests.  


This created a lined yoke which is not only sturdier, but also creates such a pretty finish on the inside.  


I cut  bias tape from the chiffon using a sharp rotary cutter and a ruler. And, I starched that as well.  The curved hemline also has a bias finish.  



Side seams have a french seam finish.  

For the cardigan, It's a super simple sew as well.  I used a lovely ITY knit, again from Fabric Mart.  The pattern I used, is FREE!  It's from Sinclair Patterns and you can find the link here: Sinclair Patterns Harper Cardigan

If you are wondering what it looks like, here's a photo: 



This comes in several lengths as well as sleeve variations.  I made the duster in a tall size.  Oxana Sinclair offers her patterns in petite, regular, and tall.  Since I am 5'7", I love using the tall sizing.  


You'll see more of these cardigans from me!  
 


 Thanks for reading and I hope this finds you and your loves ones safe and healthy! 

Sue 

5 comments:

  1. what lovely pieces, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of these pieces. So pretty and the cardigan is so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These is a lovely, comfortable, but polished looking outfit to wear at home. You look so good in the color blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful chiffon blouse!! Great tips.

    ReplyDelete