About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Another floral kimono--McCall's 7790

Hi all!  I hope everyone is well and healthy!  I don't know about you, but if I didn't have a few distractions such as sewing, exercise, and cooking, I think I'd go over the edge right now with the chaos of CoVID19.  But that's not why you are here, right?  


This garment was for my March Fabric Mart post.  The minute I saw this evergreen floral chiffon, I knew I had to have it.  Evergreen is all over the place right now.  It's such a lovely, fresh, and fun color and I so glad that it has emerged this spring!  

See what I mean about a fresh and vibrant color?  Plus, it is a floral and I just love floral prints.

Here's an image of the pattern I used.
McCall's 7790 Misses' Jacket and Belt

I can't even remember the last time I used a pattern from the big 4.  It's been a while.  I chose this because I knew I wanted a longer kimono with some options.  What I didn't realize was is that this is a lined kimono, I had no intention of lining this as I cut it out.  For one thing, I didn't have a suitable lining fabric and 2, I didn't want to put two layers of this together.  So, I did what any adventurous seamstress would do and modified this so that it was unlined and I also modified the bands.  Did I also mention that I modified the hemline? Well, I did.  I didn't want to add all those facings so I eliminated them. I like the result.


I cut the bands on the bias with a rotary cutter and a ruler longer than I needed and then adjusted it so it fit along the front edges and the back neckline. I also added some staystitching along there and used quite a bit of Best Press to further stabilize the edges.  


Basically for this pattern, I used the front and back pieces.  That's it. Since this is a big 4 pattern, I also had to make an FBA and lengthen from the back shoulder to back waistline. 


Yes, I know this is super simple but sometimes you need a sew like that! 


I didn't do much of anything special for this.  I turned the bottom hem twice and topstitched it down. I had the perfect color of serger thread so I used that to finish my edges.  


Here's an inside look at the sleeve bands.  To simplify things, I simply turned the edge to the inside, pressed carefully, and topstitched.  

I hope this finds you well and healthy!  Thanks for reading!
Sue

 

2 comments:

  1. It's lovely Sue. That green is stunning and looks great as a simple pop on kimono style.
    Thinking of you in the USA and thanks for the welcome distraction at this time. 🌈💚🐨

    ReplyDelete
  2. 123 joker สล็อตออนไลน์ สมัครใหม่รับโบนัสฟรี เป็นหนึ่งในเกม PG สล็อตออนไลน์ที่อาจพบได้ในวงการการพนันออนไลน์ แต่ควรทราบว่าข้อมูลที่เป็นไปได้เกี่ยวกับเกมนี้จากเว็บสล็อต

    ReplyDelete