The instant I saw this dress I knew I had to make it and I knew I was going to embellish part of the front bodice.
So, I ordered a stencil from here: ThanksImadeThem. I purchased the 'drops' stencil. I love it!
I was so excited to try this that I ended up just tracing the inside of each shape with a washable child marker instead of the usual painting with an airbrush. It worked great, although I highly recommend testing your fabric prior to using the marker.
So back to the pattern. I used three fabrics, all from my stash. The blue and white knit are Stof knits that are 94% cotton and 6% spandex. Usually people use Organic cotton for Alabama Chanin handwork, but I decided to use what I had on hand. The mesh is also from my stash.
This fabric is much, much stretchier than the pattern envelope calls for. Because of that I eliminated the back zipper. If you used a firmer knit, you'll want the zip. This dress is very close fitting. I am wearing as much shapewear as I can under this. It will look much more flattering once I finally loose 10 pounds!
The pattern is very well drafted. It goes together beautifully. I made a few alterations.
1. I raised the V-back 5 inches. It would hit you a little higher than the natural waist.
2. I had to raise the waistline by about an inch. For reference, I am 5'7".
That's it. After wearing it, and seeing photos, I need to raise the front waistline an additional 1/2"-ish. There is a ripple there that I don't like.
My sleeves aren't nearly as snug as Mimi's. I may need to take those in a bit as well.
Here is a peek at the hem and the stitch I use to create almost all my hems. It is #22 on my Bernina.
All in all, I really like this dress. It was fun to create the reverse applique.
Thanks for reading!