About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, May 20, 2018

More off the shoulder looks with Simplicity 8550

My latest make...This dress, a modified version of View A.

Image result for images Simplicity 8550

I had envisioned this with cutwork embroider on that super cute collar but as I scaled the design down so it would fit, the stitch density was so tight that I simply had a big bunch of nesting.  I really don't like it when that happens!


Rather than cut another collar, I ditched that part of the design.


Simplicity patterns fit me differently than the other 'big' brands do and to accommodate a FBA, I typically have better luck grading to a large size in the bust area.  This pattern has a large dart meaning it is deep and I knew just by looking at it that I wouldn't need any additional alterations there.


What did need altering however was where the waist ties sit.  I marked them according to the pattern and the ties were sitting at my mid-hip level.  I raised them by three inches.  


I do like that the back is plain.


I do love this avocado-y colored linen from Fabric Mart.  
This dress has a nice length so I won't need leggings with it all summer but it was chilly this morning so I threw these on.  
I like how this fits, it is comfortable so I will most likely use this pattern again, perhaps though for a top.  

Thanks so much for reading!
Sue 

4 comments:

  1. That's a really nice dress Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that dress and great colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this! It looks so cool and casual for spring/summer. And I love the color. I just bought a dye in a similar shade to dye a white shirt I made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice thanks for sharing.I'm in the process of making this either as a dress or a top, you have inspired me to do both. love the green linen

    ReplyDelete