About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Sewing for Elaina

Sewing for little people is so much fun!  It takes minimal fabric when they are this little and I just get the giggles at how cute and little everything is!  

This little cutie is my granddaughter, Elaina.  She just turned one a few days ago.  That little smirk on her face tells a lot about her personality.  :)  As you can see, she lives in a MUCH warmer climate than I do.  I can't even thing about bare feet outdoors right now.  


Isn't she the cutest?  I used three different patterns to create this little ensemble.  
Let's start with the little jacket.  Yes, it is too big for now.  I am hoping by fall it will fit her well.  
Here is the pattern I used for the jacket: 

Image result for images Simplicity 1566

Based on Elaina's measurements, I made her a medium.  Look how much too large it is!  I don't mind growing room for little people and she definitely has plenty of room for this to fit for a long time.  
This is a breeze to put together.  Of course you can see I added a ruffle to the hem.  All I did for that was to measure 2.5 times the length, cut a strip the width I wanted, pleat it with the gathering/pleating foot, and done!  


Since I am very limited on local fabric shops and only have JoAnn's to shop from for zippers for a garment like this  I was unable to find an appropriate zip.  These hook and eyes were from my stash. 

 

That face, it just kills me!  She is giving her mommy a look of concern, isn't she?


How how quickly emotions change when you are a year old!



Next, let's talk about the onesie.  Here is the pattern I used: 


How adorable is this?  I love the way the shoulders are constructed and the optional little details to make it fun.   



And look at that fabric!  Every girl needs something leopard print, I don't care how old you are.  ;)  


This fits so true to size.  I made a 12 month size and it fits her great!  Jalie truly knows how to create patterns and directions for home sewers.  This is no exception.  I only wish it came in adult sizes! 


Plenty of diaper room!  Cute little gathers on the sleeve caps.  



Those pig tails!  My daughter, Elaina's mommy, choose these three fabrics for this outfit.  This leopard print was a little thin so to reinforce the area for the snaps, I used some interfacing.  I cut it the width of the binding and it worked perfectly.  I used my Kam snap pliers and some clear snaps for easy diapering.  Aren't little fat rolls adorable on babies?



Lastly, I'll share the legging pattern.  
Image result for images Simplicity 8304

I previously made the dress in version C.  You can see that here: Simplicity 8304



 These leggings are made from a mid-weight ponte.  They were also made in a 12 month size and they are very long!  My daughter cuffs them.  She'll have plenty of room to grow into these!  

I really love sewing for children.  It's fast and fun and they look so adorable!  All my fabrics were from Fabric Mart and are featured on my blog post at their site for this month.  Head on over and check out their selections!  

Thanks for reading!  I do so love your comments!
Sue 


4 comments:

  1. Love all of these--they're all so cute! My favorite is the jacket though. Such a cute model!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely outfits...and such fun to make! Your granddaughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweetie. Her clothes are gorgeous, love the combination of fabric chosen

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is such a cutie! It must be really fun to sew for her!

    ReplyDelete