So, here comes the Winifred dress from Blue Ginger Doll. In theory, it is a cute design that looks comfortable, especially for a hot summer day. Here is a photo from their website:
Here is a description from the website:
The Winifred dress is the perfect everyday dress. Easy to sew and comfortable to wear this dress is designed for the beginner sewer. Featuring front tuck darts that are designed to flatter the waistline as well as create a lovely flowing skirt. An elastic waistline on the back of the dress hug the curves as well eliminating the need for any closures, making it easy to just throw on the dress and get on with your day. Finishing off the Winifred dress is a cute belt design feature on the back of the dress.
View A - Features short kimono sleeves
View B- Features longer 3/4 sleeves.
Perfect for a range of fabrics and seasons, The Winifred dress will become your go to dress!
Multi-Size: 4-24. Bluegingerdoll patterns are designed on a D cup.
D cup? No way...there is no way this dress will fit a D cup, or even a B cup for that matter. Trust me...
So here is what I didn't look closely enough at--look at the fold just above the bust....a serious sign this could be ill-fitting in that area. It also looks rather close-fitting (ok, tight, and perhaps uncomfortably so).
I have to say I can't for the life of me remember what size I cut when the kit arrived. There was no suggestion for interfacing the neckline area and the cotton included with the kit was okay, not super high quality but not fall apart cheap either but being the over achiever that I am, I interfaced.
With zero closures included, in theory this is supposed to just pops over your head and off you go! But this thing isn't easy to get on or off. I love the idea of throwing a dress on and pulling it over my head, but this has very little clearance. Neither DD1 or myself have an overly large head and it was a struggle! I even let out the seam as much as I could so there was even an inch more than I started with but it didn't really help!
There is elastic at the back waist seam that allows for some shaping and two darts at the waistline that are a vertical triangle but open at the bottom--as if that makes any sort of sense at all! But I took those darts out immediately as I felt the need to breathe.
This did not fit me at all, so I was hoping DD1 would like it and it'd fit her. She is modeling it and decided she HATED it until she saw the pictures. I didn't finish the dress which you can see how the hems on the sleeves and lower edge of the dress haven't even been attempted yet. I also took out the darts thinking we could fit it to her. She doesn't want the darts and she may not want the dress either. Jury is still out, so it will go in her to maybe finish someday pile.
Honestly, don't waste your money on this pattern. I normally don't say that if I don't make a muslin first, but this pattern seems poorly executed and fitting would be an absolute nightmare unless you are more of an athletic build so you wouldn't need much shaping.
That's all I've got for this pattern. Sigh. You win some, you loose some and this is a looser!