About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Jalie City Coat, round 2!

Oh I so love Jalie patterns, and wool, and winter coats--so what happens when you combine all three?  A new coat of course!


So, this coat calls for a slight stretch in the fabric but I decided to go against the directions and try a wool and know what?  It worked!  For my first go around, I used a stretch printed denim and I've worn the heck out of it. 

But, I wanted something warmer.  Denim by itself, isn't that warm.  But it is so cute--if I do say so myself!

I used a wool coating I purchased from fabric mart during a recent sale.  I love this deep eggplant color!  It sewed beautifully and was just so nice to work with!  Wow, do I love wool!






The pattern doesn't call for a lining but I created one using the pattern pieces for the coat.  Having said that, after I sewed the pieces together, I cut out the lining using the sew together pieces as a pattern with a little extra for ease.  I also lined the hood so in case I wanted to use it, my hair might behave a little better :) for those of you that have naturally curly hair, I think you know exactly what I am talking about!


Okey-dokey--this pattern is awesome!  It has quite a few pieces that are seamed together to create a style.  The front princess seams make the perfect place for inseam pockets.  The yokes make a great backdrop for the hood.  I didn't make the hood the first time but I do love it.  It isn't too big, nor too small.  The sleeves are three pieces which make for a nice fit.



Jalie patterns have really long sleeves and I did have to shorten them quite a bit--I wish I had kept track of how much, but I didn't so sorry!


I did keep the front facing and added some matching colored bias tape to it and added some decorative stitching to it to dress it up a bit.  Oh and what do you think of the orange lining?  I love the surprise of it and while it may not be an expected choice, I really love it!  Luckily I found the scarf and gloves to coordinate everything and I love it!


This is one of my favorite coat patterns!  I made this one smaller than the first (size Y versus a U).

Thanks for reading!
Sue

15 comments:

  1. I love your coat too.. The orange lining is just perfect..Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! You are always so kind!

      Delete
  2. Love your coat. Just the pattern I have been looking for. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay! I hope you'll try this pattern. It is fun!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! And that lining is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh!!! Fantastic coat --- classy yet fun! You've inspired me to purchase this pattern :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it Ginny! It is a great pattern!

      Delete
  5. Looks great Sue! It is awesome to be able to make a coat because it is so nice to have options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley Ann! Oh yea, I love options too!

      Delete
  6. Lovely coat and super lining! I might yet be inspired to make another coat this great length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! Coats are so much fun to make!

      Delete
  7. Excellent coats! I'm glad to know the non-stretch fabric worked fine for you, as I'd been wondering about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the color peeking from the pocket! Great surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great coat! I love the pop of orange in the lining, especially in the hood. I'm considering this pattern for a spring jacket, so I appreciate all of your photos and details. :)

    ReplyDelete