About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Color-blocked Vogue Tunic

I am so in love with tunics lately that I can't seem to get enough of them!  Why?  Not sure but they are so very comfortable and easy to wear!

I wanted a color blocked top for this version and I used two fabrics from Fancy Tiger Crafts in Denver.  I can't tell you how unbelievably wonderful this fabric is!  The ivory is left over from my Coco and the paprika is a wonderful Soy Jersey with is 47.5% soy, 47.5% organic cotton, and 5% spandex.  It feels heavenly on your skin and sewed up so beautifully!  The ivory is a hemp and organic cotton blend with slight slubs in the fabric to give it some texture.





I used Vogue 8950 for this pattern and I love the photo on Vogue Pattern website that shows the color blocked top.
V8950, Misses' Tunic

Otherwise, this pattern isn't too exciting when you glance at it based on the drawings.

See what I mean?V8950, Misses' Tunic

This top is very easy to execute, a fast sew, and I love the options for color, textures, and fabric combinations.

So, I included a photo of how I make a swayback adjustment on knit fabrics with the fabric cut on the fold.  I only need 1/2" for most patterns.  I slash the tissue from the center back to an inch or so from the side seam, overlap the edges and pin.  Simple and it does make a difference in how my clothing fits!

I did have a few moments of frustration as I was matching up my seams on this top and it has nothing to do with the pattern!  Using two different weights and textures of fabric made it difficult to keep the seams from slipping and sliding but with a large amount of pins and clenching a rabbit's foot between my teeth, I managed!  It is totally worth the work to get the seams to line up as it really makes the top!

I had to make this tunic length again!  I plan on living in tunics for the rest of my life!

I used steam a seam for the hem and folded it twice and stitched.  I would have used my cover stitch machine but I only had one spool of thread that was the right color and didn't want to wind three bobbins just to hem this!  I think the weight of the hem lets it hang well.


I LOVE this top and pattern!  DH was surprised I had made another top in such a short amount of time.

Happy Holidays all!
Sue

6 comments:

  1. Very nice tunic! I like this color blocked and not so much when you look at the drawing of stripes! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute tunic Sue! I've been meaning to pick this top up, and now I know that I have to after seeing yours..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candice! It really is a well drafted (and cute) pattern! I hope to see you review it soon! Merry Christmas!
      Sue

      Delete
  3. You did a nice job on this tunic. It looks very nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sissy! I really love this tunic! I hope you'll try it!

      Delete