About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Jalie Twist Top

Another love from Jalie.

How cute is this top?  I am on a Jalie kick lately and this is my latest.

Pattern Description:
V-neck top with a fashionable twist along the cleavage line and tie at back neckline.  View A has three-quarter sleeve, View B has a puff sleeve and View C is sleeveless.  The pattern includes optional front flounce and modesty panel for more coverage.  The hem can be finished with a wide stretch lace trim.  Made with a more stretch fabric, this pattern is perfect and stylish for mothers-to-be.

Fabric Used:
This super cute and colorful print from Marcy Tilton.  While I love the finished result, there was quite a bit of rolling at the cut edge requiring me to wrestle with it a bit.  Thank goodness I have a great serger that helped tremendously.


















Did the finished garment look like the pattern picture:
Well, yes, it does!  I am happy with my finished result.  


What did you like/dislike?
The twist is too cute.  The geometry of it makes sense and the directions for it are super easy to follow.
I love the sizing.  This is sort of a fitted top or you could make it very fitted if you are young and thin.
Dislike: No stabilization at the shoulder seam.  And wow is the neckline super low.  Glad there is an option for the modesty panel.
I really don't care for the narrow hems on the neckline.  I think it cheapens the result, or can cheapen it.  



How were the instructions:
Awesome as with all Jalie patterns all you need are the visual directions.

Changes/modifications:
My usual 1/2" sway back adjustment.
I added 1/4" clear elastic to the shoulder seam to stabilize.
Omitted the ties at the shoulder although I do think they are super cute.
I added long sleeves from the Jalie cardigan I reviewed recently.  While they are longer than to my wrist, I don't mind so much  as I typically push long sleeves up anyway.







The other change I made was due to my fabric choice and has nothing to do with the pattern.  Since the cut edge rolled so very much and I detest narrow hems on necklines, I added narrow bands at the neckline, sleeves hems and lower hem.  I feel like this also helps give the top a little weight as the fabric is a little on the light side. 










I did round out the back neckline so it is more of a scoop rather than a triangle shape.  It helped with the neckband I sewed on.
I was a little perplexed at how the twist causes part of the wrong side of the neckline to show no matter how much I fiddle with it.  I thought perhaps I had done something incorrectly, but I see other reviews have had the same issue.  See below:  
























To a fellow blogger: I am sorry I didn't ask permission to use your photo prior to posting. :) 



Recommendations:
Oh yes, I highly recommend this pattern.  I can't wait to make it again in different fabrics and I'd like one with the flounce.  It is just fun, fast and really cute.   

Conclusion:
A fast, fun and stylish top.  No wonder Jalie are so popular.  I am in love!!!













6 comments:

  1. Such a stylish top in a fun print! Very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super top. Loving your fabric. Great twist detail which I think is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the print and it fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice top , how is the modesty panel attached to this top ?

    ReplyDelete