About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Vogue 8649

Pattern Description:
From the back of the envelope: Misses' top: semi-fitted, pullover tops A, B, C have gathers, kimono sleeves and stitched hems.  A: short sleeves.  B, contrast lower front and lower back.  B, C: three-quarter lengths sleeves.  Separate patterns pieces provided fro A, B, C, D cup sizes. 


 



This pattern is rated as very easy and I totally agree.  
Pattern Sizing:
Multi-sized. I made a 14 with a C cup.   I think I may have been able to go down a size in the bust.  While I don't want it tight, it seems too loose.   
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, the lines are the same.  However, I had to chop about 4 inches off the sleeve length as they were so long--past my elbow for the short sleeve version.  I wanted them to look more like the envelope drawing.  Of course, I made some additional modifications.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yep! Very easy, no issues with the directions. I was even pleased with the order of construction.  They have you finish the neckline before attaching the lower half, which makes so much sense and lets you finish the neckline when it is still flat.    

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Likes:
Easy-fitting style.  
Not too tight, but may border on being a tad big across the bust.
The sleeves while being kimono style are just the right fullness.  I don't feel like I will fly away when I raise my arms.   
Shoulder gathers, back waist line gathers. 
This didn't take too much fabric.
Dislikes: 

No stabilization at the shoulder seam
Bias tape finishing for the neckline and armholes? Nope, not for me!


Fabric Used:
I purchased this colorful and busy print from Treadle Yard Goods in Minneapolis earlier this summer.  If I remember correctly, it is a poly-Lycra blend.  I had to idea what I was going to do with it but decided it definitely needed broken up into pieces to give the eye some relief.  This is such a wonderful knit.  It feels like silk, sews like a dream and washed up beautifully.  Love everything about it! 
I did think I needed a solid color to tone this down a bit and attached some black knit from my stash to the neckline and sleeve hems.  No idea the content of the solid fabric. 


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I cut 2 inch strips of black fabric, folded it in half and attached it to the right side of the fabric.  I serged the edges, folded it to the wrong side and topstitched about 1/8" from the edge using a stretch stitch.  It gives just a tad bit more coverage in the cleavage area and again, breaks up the busy print a little bit. 
I stabilized the shoulder areas with 1/4" clear elastic serged to the shoulder seam.  I thought this top needed shoulder stabilization and am surprised Vogue didn't include this in the directions.   
As I mentioned earlier, I shortened the short sleeved version by about 3.5 inches as the sleeves hung down past my elbows.  I wanted the sleeves to hit me about 4 or so inches higher than that so I hacked them off and applied a narrow band of black fabric just to break the busy print up a little.     

I stitched the neckline closed with about an inch of stitching on the inside so it isn't visible to anyone other than me. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I will most likely sew this again.  I like the easy style and think it will look great in a variety of fabrics and fabric weights. 
 
Conclusion:
 While I really enjoyed this top, I am wondering if I should go down a size in cups as it just seems a little too roomy in the bust area. 
Thanks for reading!
Sue 

No comments:

Post a Comment