About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sabrina Tunic

This is a fun little dress I created for myself, but my DD1 was home for the first time in a year, discovered it and decided we needed to alter the neckline. Needless to say, it has disappeared into her suitcase and is most likely residing in her closet in California.

Pattern Description:
From the pattern:
The Sabrina Tunic….our first dress for Boutique Chic! You will feel as cool and sophisticated as Audrey Hepburn in this glorious easy-to-sew little frock featuring a boat neckline, sleeveless bodice, empire waist, and A-line skirt with subtle gathering. The look is polished with a tie at the waist that criss-crosses int he back. Featured in three lengths, this design can be worn with pants or as a flirty dress. This tunic is perfect for all seasong, looking equally smasing by itself or with a cardigan or jacket.
Sabrina Tunic

Pattern Sizing:
Sizes XXS to XXL are included in the same envelope!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Well, it did before DD1 decided the neckline needed altered!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, they were very easy to understand and there are a lot of directions including how to alter the pattern to make it your own with some fun design elements.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
For being such a cute and easy pattern, I didn’t think it was all that well-drafted. While it is from an indy pattern company and not the big 4, the drafting leaves a few things to be desired such as the neckline. Prior to my daughter suggesting we alter it, I hated how it sat and decided to leave it hanging in the closet for an entire year!

Fabric Used:
A 100% cotton that pressed and sewed beautifully.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Here goes:
We decided to alter the neckline to make it a V-neck. So, from my stash I found a pattern whose neckline I liked and used that to redraw the proper shape. Next, I cut 1.5 inch bias strips for the neckline facing, fused interfacing to those pieces and sewed them on. I decided to make it a banded-neckline leaving about a half an inch showing on the right side. Sorry I didn’t think to take a photo of a close up of this and it is long gone to another state halfway across the country so I can’t get a picture now!
I found the dress-length much too short and found this 100% pink cotton and used that on the hemline. It took the dress from scandalous to cute with little effort. Also, I doubled the fabric width and it gave some weight to the dress and now it hangs better.





Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I won’t sew this again simply because I hated the neckline so much. I have so many other patterns I want to sew that this will end on the BOTTOM of my pile of want to sew rather than need to sew–if you know what I mean!

Conclusion:
I am glad DD rescused this one. Next time I have a flop, I am sending it onto her because where I agonize over making changes, she just goes for it and she was two for two on changing design elements from her recent visit. Now I have a little more room in my closet for other what I hope to be treasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment