About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Playing with Percale and fall colors!

Don't know about you, but this time of year, I like to start thinking about sewing some garments for fall.  I love the colors of fall, the browns, oranges, greens, and purples.


I found this brown, floral percale on Fabric Mart's site and wanted to try it for a garment. I knew it would have somewhat of a crisp hand and I was ready for the challenge of finding the right pattern to use.  


After opening the package, I found this fabric has a very crisp hand, and would be perfect for a pair of cropped pants.  Back in my day, these were called gauchos.  Anyone else remember that phase?  



Here is the pattern I used, if you are interested! 
Image result for Images Simplicity 8175

 I instantly fell in love with the skirt but then those cute cropped pants caught my eye...

This fabric was a great choice for this pant as it holds its shape, is crisp, and is comfortable.


I only made a few modifications, the most noticeable was to lengthen the tie.  And honestly, when I cut these out, I cut added to the seam allowances so I could pin-fit these.  I took all sorts of crazy measurements and compared them to the pattern tissue.  I was so very surprised I wouldn't need to do much to these to get them to fit.


Basically, I added belt loops for the tie belt, I added staytape to the pocket seams and adjusted the darts slightly.  That's it!  These fit that well straight from the tissue.  I cut off the extra seam allowances.

Let's talk about my bright green top for a moment.  This is some of FM's linen, this is the avocado green.  I had just enough left in my stash from a previous project to make a fun top to go with these wild, floral pants.


I modified this pattern, by leaving off the flange of the sleeve.  Here's the pattern: 
Image result for Images Simplicity 8642

I made view A with the flange and thought: ugh.  That flange in a linen didn't drape like I thought it should.  A simple fix of removing the flange saved the day!


I love how these fabrics go together!  I also love the split sleeve with the tie!  I just happened to have a necklace and shoes that I like with this.  See, I tell my hubby, compulsive shopping pays off!  ;)  



I hope you are all enjoying summer and creating some great makes!
Thanks for reading!
Sue

8 comments:

  1. Have been so curious about the percales on FM! thks for sharing this. Cute pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely oufit. I have the skirt/trouser pattern but have never used it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do try it! I hesitated so many times and am finally glad I took the plunge!

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty outfit! You have a lot more luck with Simplicity than I do - it might be just my fitting techniques though :) Love your pants and that top! I have fallen head over heels for linen and Fabric Mart has some gorgeous linen by the way on sale right now for a steal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen! Don't enable me! I love FMs linen so much!

      Delete
  4. I like the gauchos ( I Remember that term) and they look well fitting and I love the top in the green linen.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages,have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial institutions,We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate bodies at low interest rate.If you are interested in taking a loan,feel free to contact us today,we promise to offer you the best services ever.Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you.What are your Financial needs?Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan?Do you want to buy a car?Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists? Contact us (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    Your Name:...............
    Your Country:...............
    Your Occupation:...............
    Loan Amount Needed:...............
    Loan Duration...............
    Monthly Income:...............
    Your Telephone Number:.....................
    Business Plan/Use Of Your Loan:...............
    Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete