Hello all and Happy Mother's Day! I wanted to share with you my latest make: the Bobbi Bomber by StyleArc.
Is this fun or what?
I love how SA has elevated a regular bomber into something super with the little details.
Here's example one: Welt pockets.
Example 2: Zippered pocket on the sleeve.
Of course I wanted to make my zipper with a contrasting color, even if it is an invisible zipper. I choose lavender since that is the same color as my lining. I even made the zipper guards a lavender color.
Here you can see that contrasting zipper band down the front.
Did I mention the sleeve bands are simply the reverse of the main fabric? I had such a hard time deciding on silver or black! I decided to incorporate both.
This is a designer satin made by Thakoon. I purchased it from Fabric Mart. I love it! The lining is from FM as well. The black ribbing is from my stash along with the zippers.
I added a few steps to the pattern. Here they are:
1. Added interfacing to the welt pockets on the main fabric. Since this is a satin, I didn't want it to stretch out of shape. That would have looked really funky and with the effort that went into this, I decided to error on the side of caution.
2. Handbasting the zipper in place. Again, this was due to the satin fabric I used.
3. Using bias tape in place of the zipper guards. I was about done with the satin by the time I got to the zippers. Handbasting kept my sanity.
I hope you will try a fabric you normally shy away from. I used to sew satin bride's maid gowns all the time--about 25 years ago. I feel like I am learning to use this wonderful fabric all over again. This won't be the last time I use it!
Thanks for reading!